Catastrophic Accident! What To Do!?

This actually happened during the holidays.  I'm having a hard time dealing with it.  I've owned my Music Reference RM9 amp for over 15 years.  While replacing a fuse, something I've done easily over 2 dz. times thru the yrs, The amp tipped over.  Long story short, the way the unit fell damaged/smashed most of the tubes (12 in total!).  Man, seriously, I practically feel like I've lost a member of my family!  I've been in contact with Roger Modjeski at Ram Labs and they've been 100% supportive even though I'm not the original owner.  But the dilemma is substantial, the amp can be repaired no doubt, but to transport it from S. Fl. to Ca., plus tube replacement, plus possible other repairs.  Not sure it makes dollas & sense.  The fact is I'm not the youngster I was when I 1st acquired the gear, plus being retired the money ain't what it used to be.  This accident has seriously got me considering whether I should continue with the hobby.  The gear, 1000's of records and CD's somehow, suddenly feels like a bit much.  I've been into the gear for 35+ yrs. but I've been a music-lover my entire life, I'll never stop listening....but maybe it's time to downsize?  Ram Labs has offered help in testing, and/or repairing, and even offered the alternative of selling the unit for parts.  Tremendous support!  I think I'd be able to sell it but I just can't bring myself to go down that road, not yet.  So into the 'spares' closet she goes, and since I don't have another amp, it's headphone time!  

Here's hoping y'all have a safe and incident-free New Year!
128x128chazro

Hi Chazro

Sorry to hear about your accident. Everyone here cringed at reading this news I'm sure. The RM9 is a classic and many of us here have owned and enjoyed Roger's work. I had my RM9 for about 5 years and have setup a few systems using the RM9.

I think the headphones will be fun, if having them on your head doesn't bother you. At the same time there is nothing like an in-room system setup the way you like it.

"The gear, 1000's of records and CD's somehow, suddenly feels like a bit much. I've been into the gear for 35+ yrs. but I've been a music-lover my entire life, I'll never stop listening....but maybe it's time to downsize?"

There are many listeners asking themselves this very question in today's world. Downsize & simplify. There's never been a better time to do this and many great products to do this with, and fortunately not expensive.

my best to you

Michael

1st off, thx to everyone for yr thoughtful responses.  Believe it or not, I actually feel a little better, so thx!  I've got an old set of tubes that I'm going to give a shot.  Maybe I'll luck out and the amp will work properly, at which point I'll simply go for new tubes.  I'll post an update.  Apparently, I wasn't clear (not that it matters), but even If I decided to stop with the hobby (the gear), I'd never stop listening.  The gear is the hobby, the music is the passion!

Lastly, I was asked about the frequent fuse changes.  I have zero knowledge about this but I HAVE read quite a bit about the RM9 over the years and apparently this 'fuse changing' isn't/wasn't unusual at all!  If I understand it correctly, the problem was addressed in the MK II version of the RM9 by a re-positioning of the fuse holder, allowing for much easier access.  I never thought of it as a big deal....until now!  
I agree with highway 61.  There has got to have been issues with your amp for years if you have had to replace so many fuses.  This would have indicated problems after the second one went out.  There has got to be a short somewhere that has caused this.

I think it is time to replace it.  Perhaps buy a digital amp.  I found the Parasound Halo integrated amp to be incredible.  They cost about $2,500 and reproduce a lot of detail.  Maybe take out a home equity loan and pay it off in a year or two.  This might be your chance to upgrade into something much better.

I am not sure why people are in love with tube amplifiers.  They must sound warmer.  I also cannot understand why people want to listen to vinyl either.  CD's are able to sample a lot more information which in turn produces a lot more detail.  I think it sounds much crisper in the highs.  However, everyone enjoys sound differently.
@larry,
Leave  the OP alone. He doesn't have the funds to go to a new amp.

Let's wish him well and hope just replacing the tubes will resurrect his amp. If it doesn't, I bet Roger will be able to help him.
Bob
Chazro, 

Repositioning the fuse holder may have corrected problems with accessibility, but I doubt that would correct the issue of the fuse actually blowing.

it’s still not clear if the many fuse replacements are with this amp, or with all of your gear combined.

If it’s mostly the amp, then that indicates a problem.

Possibly the replacement is of the wrong rating (amperage; if you’re just replacing what was in there, then there’s a chance that the previous owner used a undersized fuse and you are repeating his mistake), or the wrong type (it may require a slow blow).

If most of the replacements were on that amp, and the correct replacements were used, then the amp has a problem and should be reviewed by someone that’s competent and preferably knowledgeable about that particular amp. In that case I’d say that it probably should be shipped back Ram Labs.

PS: Don’t beat yourself up too badly, learn the lesson and move on. Happiness is a choice, how do you want to spend the time you have left?

Best,
Bruce.