Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128uberwaltz
I've been running a Kuzma Airline for more than 12 years. I like it, it is made well, no issues other than dealing with air compressor, which adds an additional layer of complication to what is otherwise a pretty straightforward design and execution. Otherwise, pretty easy to set up and dial in, minimal maintenance.
I gather the Trans-Fi is the cat's meow at an easily digestible price. 
I remember the Rabco. I think the arm on the Goldmund Reference (old) was similar, but there were/are tweaks to get it to play nicely. 

These are very good comments but I am still left wondering what was wrong with the general consumer models like the Revox, B&O, Technics etc that caused their lack of acceptance.
Surely it was not just all down to the fact that people treated them more like cd players as alluded to?
^^^^
I have heard it said many times in the past, that it was the DJ’s in clubs that saved "turntables" when CD took over. They used sl1200’s and the like. Very durable built like tanks. Came in a bomb proof silver case.
There is no way an SL10 linear tracker would have lasted one night in a club.

8^0
@lewn wrote The only full bore turntable/SL tonearm available now comes from Germany, I think, but I cannot recall its name. Another German company, Brinkmann may also make one.
I believe you are referring to Bergmann and not Brinkmann
@uberwaltz my sense is several things happening near simultaneously decline of LP in 80’s so investment in mass market even high end table refinement declined
some like B&O required unique cartridges, which were not great...
the relatively simple but consumer rugged servo drives / sensors hunted a lot and did not sell well.....
disclaimer - I managed a sizable dealerships at that time, our only Linear was the Souther, we had Denon, SOTA, thorens, etc