Linear tracking turntables, whatever happened?

Curious as to the demise and downfall of the seemingly short lived linear tracking TT.
Just from a geometry point of view I would have thought a linear arm should be superior to one with a fixed pivot that sweeps through an arc.
Obviously there is much more to it than that, sort of the reason for this thread.
I am genuinely interested in trying one out for myself as well.
128x128uberwaltz

Showing 36 responses by ct0517

Lewm - As to the problems, everything of a technical nature has its pluses and minuses. So for a linear tracking tonearm, the problem is to drive the tonearm and cartridge across the LP surface, some sort of for force is required. That can be in some cases a servo motor, in some cases gravity, and in some cases just an attempt at zero friction back at the pivot point.

Huh?

The best linear tracker tonearms use the same force for movement as a pivot arm - the groove.

But they do not need antiskating and the cart does not sit at an offset.

Have you ever actually owned and used a linear tracker in your room, Lewm ?  

Uberwaltz - I believe you are referring to the packaged deal TT setups that included a table, tonearm, cart and available for reasonable amounts? Something like the Technics SL10 I have kicking around in a closet somewhere.

Uberwaltz
IMO - Those decks are probably the closest thing to the convenience of a CD player.
Put in a record and close the cover. But owning a good TT rig requires TT hygiene. The record and stylus needs maintenance and cleaning. Its I think easier to forget about this especially to a younger person. The styli , from younger lazy people (like my son i.e.) , probably got so gunked up with dust and other debris that they deteriorated the sound worse and worse over time. The stylus hard to see if you can believe it.  

With the focus on convenience they were made very compact with a tiny tonearm/plinth. Not good.  But overall for its size still had heft.. 

I used to own an sl1200 that I used to loan out to people.  I should have done a comparison shootout with the sl10 when I had the chance for curiosity. But have since sold the sl1200 ...and ...unlike my stocks  8^(((... the sl1200 has gone up in price... alot !  

Atmasphere.

The best linear tracker tonearms use the same force for movement as a pivot arm - the groove.

This depends on what is meant by this statement.

ok - I will rephrase.
The best linear tracker tonearms use the same force for movement across the record as a pivot arm - the groove.

Atmasphere
Quite often with such arms the side to side forces on the cantilever become the tracking angle error! This can exceed a good radial tracking arm.

Firstly - no one I know that owns an expensive tonearm any type - plays bad-ass records where side to side forces on the cantilever become any type of problem. A quick call to Peter at Soundsmith on what he sees when he fixes carts, will illuminate all on side forces with improper anti skating.  
I was talking about the best ones only Atmasphere. Don't be general in your statement Give examples please; maybe in a thread on this topic, and when posting about tonearms in general;  I personally feel you should be using your business partnership with Tri-planar disclaimer on each post.   

Cheers

Lewm - so I take it then that your answer is NO  - you have never owned a Linear tracker in your room ?

^^^^
I have heard it said many times in the past, that it was the DJ’s in clubs that saved "turntables" when CD took over. They used sl1200’s and the like. Very durable built like tanks. Came in a bomb proof silver case.
There is no way an SL10 linear tracker would have lasted one night in a club.

8^0
Uberwaltz - I agree with you
take for example another timing example.  

The original ET2 Air Bearing Linear tracker was introduced in 1980. The same year that CD was introduced. Bad timing ? yes, but thousands were still sold. Today they cost $5000 in US dollars new and without the pump system, but can be had for under $1000 used in good shape for an original version from the 80's.

Now unless someone has driven over one with their car ,there is nothing but a good isopropyl cleaning of the manifold's capillaries,  to bring it to factory specs. No mechanical bearing to deal with, no oil or lubricant to get hard over time. Unlike the Transfi with its multi bearing (air and mechanical), the ET2 is a full 360 enclosed air bearing. But it needs a pump with air line.  

My reference tonearm is a custom build ET 2.5. Once set up properly, it outperformed all previous tonearms including VPI 12, FR64s, and a Dynavector the last of which came to me on a Jean Nantais (his preferred arm) 100 lb Lenco. This TT had the same gear on it that Salvatore called the best he has heard with the first Ref 1.

But it takes a Type A personality to own an ET2, not a Type B.
What is an Type A you ask ?

Well, think back to before GPS in cars. If you were out in the middle of nowhere and lost, would you

Type A) pull out the map and/or ask for directions. (or)

Type B) keep prodding on hoping to find your destination.

(Type B's should not own ET2's)

Anyway there is a whole thread dedicated to this unique tonearm if anyone is interested.  

ooooooh...so feeling the LTL here............. Linear Tracking Love.
You guys may just help me make it through winter. 8^0

Atmasphere
ct0517
When the air bearing arms came out I took a good look at them, as I spent a lot of time at our first dealership, who also carried the arm. It gained a reputation for eating cantilevers. Clearly whatever cartridge you are using is more durable- what are you using?

Atmasphere - are you referring to the ET2 ?
re" Dealerships and Pro reviewers on the ET2 specifically

Dealer setup.

Dealerships and Pro reviewers never got past base setup - call it a 6/10 on the audiophile sonics scale. This is obvious to an experienced ET2 person reading any review or visiting a dealership.  And still the tonearm ranks at the top of the sonics lists.

An example of this base versus advanced setup. The tonearm has a higher lateral mass and the design goal for setup is to get the highest vertical inertia. How do you do it ? You need to get past base setup. You set up the I beam for the highest vertical inertia. Now one can read the ET2 Tonearm Owners thread. The owners manual hints at it. A version 2 of the Et2 owners manual probably would have come out that described it in more detail, but like I said earlier, the ET2 came out same time as the CD and the demand probably did not warrant it for Bruce Thigpen

Atmasphere
Clearly whatever cartridge you are using is more durable- what are you using?

The ET2.0 and 2.5 have no cartridge limits.  

The 2.0's resonances are ideal for higher compliance and 2.5's for lower compliance.

I have used everything from a 50 x 10-6cm/Dyne
Sonus Blue Gold

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vUkVYgZYdxign27L6

to a Benz Micro and Dyna XV1 .

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pSFYYp2uxPKvygpe6

Carts used by Et2'rs from one end of compliance to another are readily discussed on the ET2 thread.

All air bearings are unique in their design. As one comparison to the Kuzma Airline for instance. See the parts circled.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KRCAqT7itqdD89RX9

The manifold that houses the air bearing is Ground Zero.

Looking at the pic one can see the the Kuzma has a smaller manifold that actually moves with the armtube, and it needs its air line and wires for damping. Its meant for a lower compliance cart. Put a higher compliance on and well, not good...as I have heard from Lyra owners.

The ET2 is a different design entirely. Look at the pic again. It has a much larger "stationary" manifold. The air line is fixed to the stationary manifold, and the wiring is not needed for damping. This is why you see so many wire mods for the ET 2.0 and 2.5. But this is also where folks go wrong. If arranging the wiring the wrong way, it will influence the tonearm and cause lesser sonics, to mistracking due to the bearing being so slick. In comparison to the Kuzma Airline bearing, the ET 2.0 2.5 air bearing has been described as "very slippery" by those familiar with both.

Understanding these design differences will go a long way towards setup of both tonearms. If anyone is toasting carts on an ET2 they have no idea how to set it up.

Sounds to me like your dealers were Personality Type B...8^0.

millercarbon
Here in Seattle our marquee high end dealer is Definitive Audio. Their founding location on Roosevelt has the flagship clearaudio turntable, linear tracking arm, and cartridge, feeding a host of similarly ultra-high end components terminating in a pair of Wilsons, sorry I forget the model. I just can't get my brain worked up that hard for stuff that doesn't sound good. And this was the worst most expensive (well over $600k and no that is not a misprint, well over a half a Doctor Evil voice MILLION dollars) pile of audio assault I've ever heard.

Well, here is the picture that represents your Definitive Audio to the world.

https://www.definitive.com/

See any problems ?

I have found that whenever there are issues with what one is hearing, it usually comes down to at least one of the following areas. 

The Room Setup <<<<<----->>>>> B Type Personality Audio Gear Setup <<<<<----->>>>> One's Hearing Ability.

The complicated part "IS" that they are all inter-related

Hopefully everyone understands why you can't have one without the other.

thastum

If the record already have had a life on a radial tonearm you can actually hear it.

thastum

Well, sir, you have managed in one sentence to summarize why I and many others still use linear tracking as the preferred way to play our records. Unfortunately your statement will go "over the head" of those on this thread (the Cons) who did not "walk the walk",  and do the comparison in their own room if they own a resolving system.

The key words being "did not" - IMO, they have more chance in todays world of going all digital today than record playing "linear". 

I had an interesting experience some years ago. A prominent Audiogon member sent me a Cd, yes a CD remember those ?
It was a recording using a specific cartridge. I then played that same music, using the same cartridge in my system with the linear tracker. The presentation was with the linear tracker very different, more realistic;  it lacked the "music borders" that Frogman mentioned on this thread in describing the pivot arm. Now understand there was nothing wrong at all with the presentation of music using the pivot arm presentation. The first time I heard it... it sounded very good. And if I had not heard the linear tracker version, I would have been fine with it.
But I had....

And that is the reason there is a pump and airline.  
uberwaltz
Guess I am now one of the soft spoiled southerners as it is 78 degrees here in North East Florida today.

uberwaltz 
Your weather and your dollar exchange are just well....... not fair.
My older neighbor is a snowbird. The summers must get unbearable ?
The only healthy thing about the ridiculous dollar exchange;  is it killed any desire to browse at stuff south of the border.

uberwaltz
I may experiment with a linear tracker at some stage but it will NOT be with pump and airline et al.

I understand. Recognize as well , that if a linear tracker person is running in audiophile mode, the pump and airline can become an audiophile journey in itself, with different pumps and tweaks. Now myself, I deal with air, water and oil pumps in my car and boat hobbies, so an air pump is second nature to me. With that, myself I have not been in audiophile mode for probably two years now. All of I have done with vinyl is clean the cart and records. But I do enjoy talking tech in this frigid weather.  

Rauliruegas
I owned the Southern, Denessen and the ET

@rauliruegas 
Would you be so kind, and tell the Audiogon Readers, how one goes about setting up the Eminent Technology tonearm for the very best bass.

Rauliruegas -
I am disappointed that you were not able to share technical information on how to get the best bass having owned the tonearm. I thought you learned on the ET2 thread about setup, even if you do not still own the tonearm. This is not an ET2 thread so I won't go into setup detail here.

The ET tonearm 2.0 and 2.5 versions, are standalone tonearms, designed to be mounted on many types of turntables. To say it was mounted on a Sota or other table, unfortunately does not tell anyone how you actually set up the tonearm "to perform". That's the info that is valuable. Bruce Thigpen, through his business partnerships arranged to have it mounted on a number of turntables. i.e. Sota, Oracle, VPI etc...

To answer your question I have heard the Kuzma Airline - same room with an ET2. An MC was mounted on an ET 2.0 and it was mounted on a different, what IMO was a lesser table than the Kuzma table that the Airline was mounted on ; so it was not an apples to apples comparison. Still it was enough for me to stay with the ET knowing what I knew.

Regarding Gear and classes of gear.
I have no devotion persay to gear. I can also talk passionately about my room, my speakers, amp, preamp, etc... I do run my gear hard - all hobbies - I keep the good ones and that is the end of it. The Gear are not trophies. The only thing of value is the Room/Space and the music; not the digital files - easily replaced - but my record collection.

I do believe that gear does fall into classes. For example assume a person owns just a regular Cartridge W, Tonearm X, and it is on turntable Y. If the person then upgrades the turntable to Z and keeps all else the same, and the results are much better. Then it probably can be said that the tonearm in this case, out classed the previous turntable. That's my opinion.

With that each time my reference turntable was modded to the better, or bettered with another table - it took my ET 2.5 to new heights.

The best bass comes when the tonearm is set up for the highest vertical inertia.

Analogluvr
The ET is a phenomenal tonearm and I can’t believe it sells for as little as it does

Bruce' pricing is consistent with his other products. he has never been part of Audiophile Markup strategies you see elsewhere. Personally I don't consider $5000 US,  without a pump cheap ? But, if it was being sold in Europe, I am pretty sure it would be selling with a 2 -3 times markup on top.

bdp24
Chris’ (ct0517) assertion that high vertical moment-of-inertia produces the best bass is to me, a user of London (Decca) cartridges, VERY interesting. That cartridge exhibits far lower vertical compliance than horizontal, which aligns well with a pickup arm exhibiting higher vertical m-o-i, no?

Bdp24

Hi Eric. Its not really my assertion. Its the way the arm was designed to run from its maker. My personal experience in running the vinyl rig alongside Master Tape Dubs (running 10 seconds behind) and switching between them helped confirm it for me. My Studer would out perform my vinyl when I first got it. Now the Studer is in need of hot rodding, if I was so inclined as my Vinyl Rig matches it or (better) as it can be tuned. This made me stop looking for tapes. I use the Studer now with the tapes I did buy as a reference point.  

Regarding cart compliances, all ET 2.0, 2.5 I beams come with either a single, double, or (triple) leaf spring to deal with different compliance cartridges. The leaf spring by design isolates the counter weights from the air bearing spindle. High compliance - single leaf spring, and so on. Most of us use the double leaf spring on our I Beams.

If my stocks were doing better 8^((( , and our dollar exchange wasn't so bad, (everyone sells in US dollars), I would maybe have some cash to look at the decca next as a cartridge.

So forget that and I will just continue to plod through my music library.

@whart
what size counterweight are you using with the Kuzma Airline currently, and where does its position lie on the rod in respect to the air bearing?
Interested in your findings.

Eric - my and other owners findings confirm this; the actual assertion comes from Mr. Physics. 8^0

The Et2 owners manual is clear that it is ideal for setup to go to the highest number on the I Beam - the end of it. ET2 owners know what this implies.

Will illustrating with an analogy help ?

$1500 us is now $2000 Cdn plus customs/duties.
I don’t mean any disrespect by this, but Americans don’t seem to have an idea the plight their dollar is having on the rest of us.

Hi Whart

@ct0517 - I'm interested in your comment about setting the ET for highest vertical inertia. How do you accomplish that?

The Eminent Technology tonearm comes with four counterweights and it is quite easy to remove enough weight, so that the lightest weight resides at the very end of the I Beam. Highest Vertical Inertia.  In recent years due to our demand and interest, Bruce introduced an I Beam that is now in the length he originally intended it to be. Due to constraints with - Dustcovers - from tables it was partnered with, he had to go with a shorter I Beam in the original design. The longer I beam now reduces the weight requirements by half still - increasing vertical inertia even more. 

The Setup Issue  
in learning how to use this unique design, most people, including me in the beginning, just used all four weights in setup, and let all the weight reside on I beam, wherever it ended up based on the VTF needed. This is wrong, and sometimes the weights ended up very close to the Air Bearing spindle - not ideal, and goes against the setup design.   

On the Airline from what I recall you are provided with two counterweights with the Kuzma ? Correct me if wrong. Try to do set up so that the lightest counterweight is furthest back on the rod. I don't know if two weights give enough option to run this way.  

Anyone looking to setup an ET 2.0 or 2.5 should upgrade to the longer I beam. Bruce also now offers a new Solid aluminum Mounting Plate and Joint (we call it the Gooseneck). they replace the Carbon Fiber versions.  

Thanks for the confirmation Frogman.

Eric - I don't want you or anyone else to misunderstand my US Cdn dollar comment. So let me add something.

Looking at myself, I have discovered I am the type of individual, that  when a good deal appears - the cash flows - its too hard for me to resist. Good deals rarely happen so when they do - if my instinct says so - I pounce on them.
Its never been about can I afford to buy item X at the current price. It's all about - if it a smokin' deal.

With the current environment - dollar exchange - there are no deals for Canadians - IMO . Remember also Dealers like to "tack" on an extra dollar exchange value, onto products as well, above their markup.
It is what it is.
To think my main speakers and Studer were purchased from the US when the Cdn dollar was worth more than US one.  
Cheers

Whart -  My understanding is that both weights work in concert. One does the locking ? Does Frank offer smaller weights to get you to the end of the rod with that cart ?  

uberwaltz - I was just thinking about that this morning. lol
From our ET2 Owner perspective you are very lucky. 
Worth the drive. .   
@whart 
I doubt the arm design has changed. See what Franc says. Myself, I would be tempted to remove your counterweight and bring into a machinist. He can make up new counterweights for you using the thread pattern the rod uses and in whatever material you like to match your arm. i can't see the cost been alot and the reason I mention it. You could start by having him make something that will work. Then if the difference is dramatic, have counterweights made in the material you prefer.   

From the looks and angle of the picture it looks you are giving up 15 -20 % leverage (physics)
If its a cartridge you are going to keep on there for the long term its worth pursuing. With vinyl rigs I have always found that it is the attention to the small details that make big differences.
@whart
you can take your counterweight as is into a Home Depot right now and go to the bolts section. they have a rack with bolts sticking out. See which of the bolts it threads into. Coming from Europe it will be metric. That gives you the thread pattern information. Then you can pick up a few nuts fatter and skinnier with that thread pattern and use those to test with. Use as many as needed to get it to the end of the rod. Once the number of bolts required is known - take them into the machinists/bike people and see if they can make you up one nut in that weight and thread pattern.
DIY
Bdp24 - My knowledge of physics is rather limited, so let me ask those of you who finished high school (;-) if the following is correct:

@bdp24 
I never learned Physics in school. It was learned through real life experiences...especially near death ones. 8^0
Picture this - approaching a corner at speed, just after a rain, in a 1996 rear engine 993.

I am not sure what you're asking Eric; but I can tell you the Eminent Tech Tonearm has a horizontal inscribed line on the center of the manifold housing. When doing setup the User is supposed to set the record level with this line. Another area where setup error occurs.

If you follow the center of the air bearing out to the counterweights one can see that all is in the same line. The I Beam is level with this inscribed line.

Now the interesting part. If one loosens the end cap that holds the I Beam and Weights. and tilts it downward a bit - one can tune the bass and give it more heft. You will also be changing the VTF when you do this. Like wise in reverse - tilt it up - and the signal becomes leaner.

One can set the sound to ones room depending on the gear. If the room is bass heavy tilt it up a bit and vice versa if the sound is lean.

@whart 
 are you able to loosen a bolt on the Kuzma Airline to tilt the counterweight rod up or down ?

@whart 
Yeah looking at it on my phone.it appears once it threads in that's it because it ties into the Armtube. In the ET design there is a long air bearing spindle with the Armtube and end cap at opposite ends.
Can be adjusted independently.

analogluvr
@ct0517 my comment of disbelief about how much they sell for was more directed at the used market where you can pick them up for around 1000$

analogluvr et al

Taken from Stereophile data.
Description: Air-bearing straight line tonearm with detachable arm tubes. Wide range of user adjustments.
Price: $850 (1984); $950 (1989–1991); $2900 (ET2.5, 2011).

Now taken from the Brooks Berdan website

"Eminent Technology was established in 1983 to create innovative products in the audio field. Eminent Technology's first product was a air bearing straight line tracking tonearm for phonograph playback. This was the first implementation of a captured air bearing for tonearm use. Eminent Technology's second product, dubbed the ET-2, was a more advanced version of the captured air bearing tonearm concept and it went on to become the most successful selling high-end tonearm."

Sales Strategy 

To those that read between the lines - summarized above is the pricing and the marketing strategy that made it the most successful. IMO - This sales strategy was not about putting out 25 pieces and charging the highest audiophile pricing like is done with some of todays products. This was about bringing this technology to everyone. To help achieve this the sales strategy placed the tonearm as an option on the most popular tables of the day.

Now owners pass on, and inheritors put these arms up for sale. One reason they come up on ebay. If one comes up on Ebay ask the seller what PSI the arm was set up for. It can run on 3 psi and the early ones partnered on SOTA, Oracle, VPI tables were probably these versions; unless the previous owners had a higher pressure manifold put on.

Bruce Thigpen also customized each manifold PSI setting based on customer needs, for those tonearms sold that were sold individually.

We have discussed how to determine what PSI the ET2 manifold/air bearing has been set for on the ET2 Tonearm Owners thread.
(in the case of someone buying one used on the market)

Frigid temps here again today Uberwaltz - shaping up for a Digital afternoon warmup and then bring in the heavy vinyl artillery.

Dgarretson
My overall experience is that Trans-Fi is at the intersection of commercial and DIY

@dgarretson 
very interesting comment DG.

For someone that is considering this tonearm, can you describe what you mean by DIY ?

I mean,  assuming it arrives in the mail, what DIY is required to get it up and running, aside from mounting it on the table ? thanks

Also
It is my understanding that everything remains fixed over the platter (does not pivot out of the way like the

Clearaudio Linear tracker tonearm).

Record Changes are done on the Terminator by "sliding" the LP's under the Cartridge/Stylus ?

DG/BDP - thx for the replies.

Bdp24 - The LP DOES however need to be slid under the manifold, which is locked in position over the back of the LP, about half way between it’s center hole and it’s perimeter.

Eric - My turntable shelf was custom made. It sits 18 inches high and when I load or remove a record I am much higher than the table, looking down. I find it an ergonomic way of loading and removing vinyl, with arms extended.

Thinking about that manifold permanently fixed over the platter,  I can't seem to get Beach Limbo out of my mind. I have had accidents in the past with the record and stylus. I need a clear runway when landing and taking off.

Cheers
Eric. Cleaning the record is not an issue. Cleaning the stylus however requires a one knee drop. I don't like to talk about my knees. I have runners knees. At middle age my Doc says my hearing is great, like a young mans, but my knees are old age. 8^(

You mentioned that you like the armwand pointing at you. With La Platine, it is a design that can be positioned - turned, so the armwand is pointing anywhere on the clock really. Like wise the motor can go left, back or to the right. Kinda cool.
I am very familiar with the short arm wand as I still own a Dy navector hybrid tonearm. I know that Bruce did a lot testing before he settled on the length of the ET2 armwand.  

uberwaltz
I used to be a short drive to Larry's at TTW. I knew Larry before "TTW" and the higher prices. I was therefore able to pick up and experiment with a lot of stuff when I was in "that phase". We talked about setting up one of the ET2's in his showroom. It never happened, and remembering back I always found his showroom unbearable due to the cigarette smoke. You don't want the tonearm, or yourself inhaling that stuff.

Then found a local machinst who would made some custom for me. Then the phase came to end. You know, been there, done that.

Accessories, paraphanelia can make this Audio hobby interesting, especially with vinyl and, people go to both extremes with it, as it relates to the record.

Some will lock down the plastic, with multiple weights and clamps. Make it more secure than a high security prison.

Then others, will try to make the record float on points.

Both camps say they get excellent results.

Hi Whart et al

Just as a FYI - The ET2 tonearm thread contains Yellow Sticky's of the more important information like what types of carts and compliance to use. Anyone interested can go to any Audiogon search field and type in

ET2 Yellow Sticky

A list of subjects comes up to choose from.

The cartridge compliance information you are asking about has been covered on the the thread but it is long thread, and the Audiogon format can be hard to navigate. I just posted a new Yellow Sticky there on Cartridge Guidelines.

Click HERE to view.

For the ET2 tonearm there is no limit on cartridge compliance, as long as long as it is supported by the proper Armwand and I beam Leaf Spring Combo. Per the attached link. 

Hi uberwaltz - just a followup on your weights and clamps question. IMO what one is using depends first on the turntable design, and then if the tonearm supports it. Per Frogmans VPI clamp example.

Re; Center Weights

i.e. La Platine's magnetic bearing can support 8 kilograms if someone desired. But I would not think of adding this much weight to my Jean Nantais Lenco or Technics SP10 mechanical bearings.

I am also in the camp of making sure the LP is not "slippy" but allowing it to breathe. Also the only LPs I own that I can recall that are not visually flat when spinning ......are newer bought ones.  

After all these years and multiple center weights, I do still use an HRS analog disk. I like it. I also have some Michell/England clamps around as well. Working like the VPI ones without the need for a threaded spindle.
Cheers

uberwaltz - four variables to consider MM, MC, Amplify and RIAA

my understanding from memory  

1) it does not do RIAA and 2) it will amplify if you select MC

We only want to amplify once, so there are two ways to do hook up for MC.

Select MM and use your own Phono Preamp which will amplify and RIAA.

or

Select MC if it's a MC cart. It will amplify and plug it into the MM input on your Phono Preamp.

make sense ?

Well, you know what needs to happen now uberwaltz ? 

I mean this is the biggest and baddest (in a good way) .....Audiophile site.  

If you are happy that it is set up properly and works well. (won't wreck your lps)

The next step is to put it in your first system, and play a record that has history there;  an LP that you are intimately familiar with. One that you know every pop on it - and expect it. 8^0

Some would not dream of putting a $50 bought turntable up against their expensive one.  

I think you will be surprised at what you hear. kudos for walking the walk ..so far ....8^0

How much all in?

I won't provide any hints of what I and others hear.
Will just say - look for an LP that provides you with huge Gestalt, especially toward the end of the side. Crescendo movement.

Physically, a record that has grooves running closer to the spindle.
The inside grooves on an LP are the smallest, tightest,  and hardest to track.

Look forward to impressions. 

Already have a couple of test albums selected that I know well and build towards the tighter grooves.

Part of my afternoon listening today. I remembered this one (hard to forget) Played it.

So does it get any tighter than THIS ?

A tad over 1/8 inch.

Album hint
Famous 1978 Debut Album. Mercury Label.

uberwaltz
fwiw

In the past I have found that the more resolving a system becomes, the more it can highlight set up errors with vinyl. So many moving separate pieces.
If it is happening with all the records, and not just a few, and the other room was fine; then I suspect that your system/room 1, is more resolving, and the SL10 deck will therefore require fine tuning for that room.

Better adjustment of SRA, VTF, Azimiuth. Too much VTF can affect SRA.

Also, audiophiles that like to use the type of Speakers, that are normally found in Recording Studios; these speakers will reveal more of the good, and the bad.  

But hey, since it seems to have found a home in your other room ......

Top causes of Sibilance From Soundsmith

1. Worn stylus/damaged stylus
2. Fouled stylus
3. Low end styli (conical)
4. Improper antiskating (PLEASE FOLLOW OUR INSTRUCTIONS - DO NOT USE A TEST RECORD)
5. Improper azimuth (far more critical as styli become more esoteric in shape)
6. Improper VTF
7. Bad tone arm bearings

UW
So the previous post dealt with the mechanical. We also have the electrical, and IMO, the Technics SL10's internal preamp quality and condition is suspect, and its artifacts heard in the more resolving system/room.

I can see the DIY Audiophile bypassing it, eliminating that "baggage", with a loom direct from the Cartridge to your reference preamp.

But a warning, as this Audiophile rabbit hole is akin to running naked through the woods.

Audiophile bears lurk...

Kevin
look for some records that sound good to you and are pressed closest to the spindle. Curious if you hear a difference on the inner grooves compared to what u r used to. Cheers Chris . 
I realize it is not an expensive unit compared to your other table....but maybe..... it will give you a glimpse into what is possible.