Are DAC's overpriced?

External DAC's are pretty expensive imho... BUT I don't know that much on how to choose one. I want mostly cd's in my small two channel system... I am rebuilding after selling my Logans and Mac amp to go back to "drivers"! The Logans wore me out with Maintenance.  Should I buy a new cd player or get a new DAC for my old player?  
128x128captbeaver
My listening changed once I started using DACs.

Now use a Beresford SEG, with Beresford Dorado power supply.
Very smooth, quiet, (cheap), with a low noise floor.
Yes, I feel a bit guilty responding as a certain someone wouldn't stop interjecting after being asked not to and to start his own thread. I would have been happy with that but I got a bit fed up as well. I shouldn't have and I won't any longer.

All the best,
Nonoise
@jerrybj 

The thread is about overpriced DACs, so when you look at the performance of say an SMSL SU-8, then yes, something like a Chord Dave, Vivaldi, etc. are overpriced from a pure performance standpoint. 
There seems to be a strong odor of ASR Forum emanating from this corner of Audiogon. Or is that eau de Hydrogenaudio?
When my trusty warhorse and high moded  Pioneer PS65 (stable platter) died, I went into a deep search mode as my budget was/is limited. after days of searching and reading, I settled on a Marantz HD CD 1.(MSRP $650) In addition to being a player it has toslink AND coax out.

My dac/pre is Audio Alchemy, which even has inputs for a streamer. My intent was/is to use it as a transport, so I never listened to the player circuit.

I had been using it all long with toslink but something in my system was not as it should be. I started a hunt to replace my AA DPA-1 amp with AA monos, then PS Audio 700 monos, or Nord Ice/N Core

FORTUNATELY, before I pulled the trigger, I got to hear my system via a prototype coax (not at liberty to say whose)  but the cable was TRANSFORMATIVE

SO, IMHO, MAKE SURE WHATEVER YOU REPLACE IT WITH HAS COAX

HTH