Are DAC's overpriced?

External DAC's are pretty expensive imho... BUT I don't know that much on how to choose one. I want mostly cd's in my small two channel system... I am rebuilding after selling my Logans and Mac amp to go back to "drivers"! The Logans wore me out with Maintenance.  Should I buy a new cd player or get a new DAC for my old player?  
128x128captbeaver
Watch out for the people that are trying to sell you something. Also, if you like a cold/analytical sounding dac, get a benchmark. Some dacs are overpriced and there are good dacs priced fairly cheap. I wouldn’t buy a non-fpga type dac, you are too locked in with current technology with little to no way to upgrade to future technologies without paying a premium for the upgrade.
There seems to be a trend here that for pennies on the dollar you can get a great sounding DAC and it's all based on measurements. 

Good luck with that. Measurements don't mean dick unless it's properly implemented. That, and you're following folk who admit they can't hear all that well.

All the best,
Nonoise
My advice would be to get yourself a DAC with also preamp possibility (volume control) and built-in streamer (Tidal). Bluesound Node 2i and Teac NT-505 would be fine with Teac more expensive. The Node 2i has a usable active crossover. 

Will you hear a difference? Depends on your golden ears. Takes a lot of experience. When some are talking of huge differences, in my opinion,  these are subtle for most of us. 
itsjustme...

I am real... at least the IRS and my mortgage company think so. lol

The question was "are" they overpriced. 

I am a lifelong musician and almost all of my tube amps are custom built and I play PRS guitars with mostly boutique effects pedals so I understand what goes into making high end equipment.

I am looking to run a simple simple cd-preamp-amp-speakers-gin n tonic- comfy chair system. 

Now... lots of folks want me to run a DAC with my current cd player which played well but is an older model. Looking into this I have found the price of a standalone DAC to be ALL over the map. I understand this and how it works BUT DAC's seem to be very trendy at the moment ( no disrespect meant) and I can't see paying 3-20 thousand dollars for one, nor can I, and want to discuss "if" they are the trending component at the moment. I don't know much about DAC's as a component and came here to learn a few things... do I need one with such a simple setup? :)