Are DAC's overpriced?

External DAC's are pretty expensive imho... BUT I don't know that much on how to choose one. I want mostly cd's in my small two channel system... I am rebuilding after selling my Logans and Mac amp to go back to "drivers"! The Logans wore me out with Maintenance.  Should I buy a new cd player or get a new DAC for my old player?  
128x128captbeaver
without more data anyone who answered is ignorant.  On what basis do you find DACs overpriced?  what have you listened to?  Do you even know what t takes to build a truly good, o great sounding DAC?The D--A process is fraught with complexity, some of which i m just realizing - albeit it's obvious hen an engineer "gets " it.  what's hour real goal? Great sound?  The best digital sound available today?
Digital and analog today have complementary strengths. I wish one had both. My goal is to build something with both, but toady that's either impossible or costly.
Get real and ask a question that cna be honestly answered.
G

Watch out for the people that are trying to sell you something. Also, if you like a cold/analytical sounding dac, get a benchmark. Some dacs are overpriced and there are good dacs priced fairly cheap. I wouldn’t buy a non-fpga type dac, you are too locked in with current technology with little to no way to upgrade to future technologies without paying a premium for the upgrade.
There seems to be a trend here that for pennies on the dollar you can get a great sounding DAC and it's all based on measurements. 

Good luck with that. Measurements don't mean dick unless it's properly implemented. That, and you're following folk who admit they can't hear all that well.

All the best,
Nonoise