Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
Pardon my French - I am a long time owner of O3A's; probably the lower end of the Thiel family.  I did have woofer cones replaced several years ago by the then Thiel company.  Any thoughts on these?  I know that CS3's were rated better; how I do not know.  
Barry - Your speakers can probably be serviced by long-time Thiel service manager Rob Gillum now of Coherent Source Service in Lexington.

The O3a is second generation O3 which put Thiel on the map. The A generation dealt with baffle edge diffraction via wool felt absorption - very effective but somewhat homely-looking. Your cabinets are made of Finland-Ply (high-end Baltic Birch), similar to the latest CS3.7 and 2.7s curved ply panels. You also got the first dose of styrene ultra-bypass caps. With the equalizer, you can get sub 30Hz sealed box bass from that heavy-duty custom Eminance woofer. The O3b added some driver refinements and more precise time alignment. The CS3 incorporated a curved-edge baffle for geometric rather than absorptive diffraction control and an all new driver complement. The CS3.5 (5th generation Model 3) still stands an an epitome the design family. If parts were readily available, which they are not, I would like to hot-rod the CS3.5 as a tribute to its place in the development of high-end audio. 

The point is that each successive model generation applied new ideas, techniques and technologies to stand on the shoulders of its predecessors. The O3a is a true minimum phase, minimum diffraction, extended range Thiel speaker. It is probable Rob can keep them on the road and their performance will embarrass many contemporary speakers.
barry_s

Welcome! Good to have another vintage Thiel Audio 03A speaker owner here.  Per Tom's suggestion reach out and touch Mr. Rob Gillum at Coherent Source Service (CSS) in Lexington KY. Please keep us posted after your consultation.  Happy Listening!
Barry - to your question, each model (3) keeps its overall character and intent. The differences are in refinement of execution of that intent.