Which Class D Amplifier? PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrill or other???

I’m looking for a new amp & want Class D.

I’ve seen various brands mentioned, such as PS Audio, Ghent, Nord, Merrel to name a few, but I’ve not heard any of them.

Which company is producing the best sounding Class D?
Which models should I be looking to demo?

Thanks

singintheblues
For the past two months I've been enjoying PS Audio's Stellar M700 monoblocks and these are the best sounding amps I've ever had in my system. My audio buds agree. With return and trade-in offers you can't go wrong by at least trying them out.
I am waiting for Ralph Karsten to finish his Class D amp. If anyone can build a great amp, it's him.
B
singintheblues,

The use of GaN semiconductors in class D amps, despite georgehifi's repeated claims to the contrary, currently have not been established as providing definitively superior sound quality to the technology and semiconductors employed in the better class D amps available on the market today (typically Field Effect Transistors referred to as FETs).

As you learn more about how class D amplification actually works, you'll understand why reduced dead-time and higher switching frequencies have the theoretical potential to improve performance. 

From my understanding, however, it seems that the GaN semiconductors reducing the dead-time has a greater potential of improving sound quality than higher switching frequencies do.  I believe this because faster semiconductors would reduce dead-time which would result in reduced distortion and likely better sound quality.

The need for higher switching frequencies in class D amps is usually based on the theory that current frequencies are too low and cause sound anomalies in the human audible range of 20- 20,000 Hz.  Current class D switching frequencies are typically in the 400-600 KHz range with theory proponents claiming switching frequencies above about 1.5 MHz are required to ensure there are no sonic anomalies in the audible range.

However, this theory has never been scientifically proven and there's virtually no evidence to support it.  Several class D amp designers. including the highly respected inventor of Hypex NCore Bruno Putzeys, have publicly stated there's no need for increasing the switching frequencies  above current levels. 

For some unknown reason, georgehifi has continued to disregard the lack of evidence and has remained one of the very few people still stubbornly clinging to this unsupported theory.  Perhaps, in the spirit of keeping an open mind, it will be discovered that only a select few individuals are capable of hearing these supposed sonic anomalies but that's a bit of a stretch.

I'm a big fan of class D amps and have replaced all of my previous class AB amps with them.  The class D amps in my combo music and HT system (ClassD Audio and Emerald Physics stereo amps and D-Sonic mono blocks) are smaller, lighter, run cooler, use much less electricity and sound much better than my old amps in all important criteria I care about.  Highly recommended.

I definitely don't think there's a need to wait for GaN semiconductor technology to 'trickle down'.  As I believe you've already discovered, good class D performs exceptionally well.  If you're not afflicted with hearing sonic anomalies either, why wait?  Perfection can be the enemy of the extremely good.

As far as good class D suggestions for you, I'm willing to offer a few brands/models to consider but would prefer knowing more about your system, needs and budget first.  

Enjoy,
 Tim

I listened extensively to the LKV Research Verito-1 and it is an excellent integrated amp based on the Hypex NCore. LKV also offers a stand alone power amp. Check them out!
https://www.facebook.com/LkvResearch/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARCfxvDUlp14H2bLZxx5uQVzQ12n9M7a4g4ySnfkhI...