What do you like most? Jazz or Classic?

What do you like the most, Classical Violin or Jazz Violin?
128x128adleysmith
I listen to more classical violin than jazz violin, but it's a stacked deck--there are so many more classical violinists to choose from and only a handful of jazzers.  Still, I regard Stephane Grapelli as an important player of his time and Jean-Luc Ponty's "Aurora" is one of my favorite fusion LP's.  I also enjoyed his stints with Mahavishnu Orch. #2 and the 1973 edition of the Frank Zappa Band.  Anyway, you'd be hard-pressed to name a dozen jazz violinists from the last 100 years without assistance, whereas the 20th century produced a bushel of great classical violinists.

Great post from @schubert, as always. J.S. Bach's music is particularly profound, and was written to glorify God, not Bach or the performers of his music. I was introduced to his music in the early 70's by a college music major musician I had played in a band with in High School, but really got into him and the other Baroque composers when the Original Instrument movement took off. Hearing the violin and other string instruments' notes played without excessive Romantic-era vibrato is such a joy!

I also love Bluegrass fiddle, and find a lot of similarities between that music and Baroque-era Classical. A theme is played, followed by a variation on it. Lots of harmony and counterpoint, which I love. And the bass parts in both musics employ the use of inversions (the notes played by the bass are not the root of the chord, but rather another note in the chord), one of my favorite musical sounds. James Jamerson, bass player on most of the 60's and early 70's Motown recordings, used that technique a lot (give a listen to "What becomes Of The Broken Hearted"), as did Brian Wilson in his Beach Boys recordings starting in 1964.

Jazz - Bop, Hard Bop and Modal. I dabble in the Avant Garde.

Happy Listening!
Post removed 
Jerry Goodman from the first and Jean Luc Ponty from the second Mahavishnu Orchestra jazzrock group were excellent. I generally prefer the former but not by much, Jerry's violin is more wild and Jean Luc's more aristocratic. Both played electric violin, or mostly electric.
Of the classical musicians I only listen to Paganini, don't ask me how, the rest are ridiculous by comparison.