Thoughts on VTA......

I have read countless posts where members are spending hours on exacting setup of their VTA with varying levels of tools.

Then there is another camp who set by ear.

My thoughts/questions on this subject arise from vinyl thickness difference.

Surely going from a flimsy flier early 70,s vinyl to a later 180 or even 200gm issue is going to change that painstakingly set VTA considerably.

So thoughts rattling round is why go to all that trouble when it IS going to change depending on the vinyl played?

To my mind it would appear that one of the arms that includes on the fly VTA adjustment would be the answer.

Your opinions or suggestions?
128x128uberwaltz
Veridian....I'm a pro musician myself.  Music sounds WAY different from the audience than when one is performing it on stage.   Personally I listen for music differently than as an audiophile.  Sometimes I play the record twice for each of the experiences.
Dear @viridian : First than all I'm like you: a music lover, difference is that things are that I not only want that my LPs be listenable but with the best quality performance levels my ignorance permits to achieve. Yes I´m an audiophile too and no no 78rpm recordings.

Like you I attend at least one day each week to listen live MUSIC.

R.

Raul, why do you write that azimuth always changes with changes in arm height?  I thought the SME V arms and their variants had a bearing offset angle that matches the headshell offset angle which solves this problem.  Older SME arms have bearings perpendicular to the main arm tube and in this case the azimuth does change.

Also, did you ever complete your tonearm design?  How did you address some of the issues raised in this thread?
rauliruegas
... each time we make changes in VTA/SRA the AZ changed too ...
If your pickup arm’s azimuth changes when you raise or lower it to adjust VTA/SRA, then it is defective in either design or manufacture. Or both. Changing alignment in one plane should not alter alignment in another plane.

VTA must not be that important, because Rega does not provide an adjustment for it; not even on their top model, the RP10.

I am ever so delighted with my Rega, and consider VTA just one less thing I have to contend with.