Opinions on Full-Range/single driver speakers

I am considering a DIY project to build a pair of single driver speakers. My current idea is to put Jordan JX9s into Transmission line cabinets. I am a competent woodworker and there are lots of plans on the internet.

I do really value the opinions of you audiogon members out there with lots of listening experience so I am curious what your opinions are on single driver speakers. If you can also comment on wide-baffle versus narrow baffle designs, that would be helpful.

My front end is a Monarchy tube DAC 25 with Matsushista tubes and DIP Classic, coupled to an AYRE DX7E, all interconnects and cables are DIY magnet wire. I am currently using Green Mountain Europa's and a modified Paradigm subwoofer.

After enjoying GMA's and experiencing time/phase coherent sound, I started looking at other options for coherent systems. It seems the simplest design is a good full range driver (no whiffle cone) in a TL or QWL cabinet.

So your opinions are appreciated. I would prefer if you did not advise me to purchase your favorite speaker as that is not the type of information I am seeking.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Drew.
drewh1
Drew, one of my very best friends walked away from a career in a rock band to become a woodworker.

My first commercial model was an "augmented fullrange"; that is, I used a Fostex fullrange driver in a sealed box with a built-in subwoofer to help below 100 Hz and a supertweeter to help in the top octave.

Anyway, my suggestion for a less expensive alternative to uberdrivers like the Supravox and PHY would be the alnico magnet Fostex F200A, imported by Madisound.

Duke
you should talk with single driver guru Mr. Steve Deckert
He'll tell you what you need to hear & not necessarily what you'd like to hear. One of my conversations with Steve he actually recommended a competitors' product vs his own, based, upon the application I intended. You can't get any less biased than that. Call Steve - he's THE man.
decware.com
the Supravox looks great but like the php might be out of my price range for a DIY project
The standard Supra 215 used to sell for around $200.
You might also consider a Visaton B200 which is much cheaper.

One point with such drivers, is they favour high frequency over low frequency reproduction; you're better off cutting seeing these as "wide-range" drivers to be assisted by a woof (and, preferably a tweet too).
Jordans not my cup of tea. But some fullranges are not as limiting as others suggest seems since so many fullranges about many not aproaching close to fullrange this can be confusing. And some only have experance with the cheap little ones. And with these they do have a point about limitations in range SPL coloration etc.. But some are not so limited and you can DIY wonderful loudspeakers around. Best deal would be Fostex f200a. If you want great bass with a fullrange a big TL can get into the 30hz range no wimpy fullrange here. The SEAS exotic can be used in AS cab its costly about 50% more but is more refined and detailed than f200a, but bass is not as strong. SEAS exotic is 94db 1 watt 8 ohms f200a 90db 1 watt 8 ohms. I have been designing with f200a for about 10 years. Its so over looked by fullrange hobbiests and to me 1 of the best when price is considered. Think the 90db 1 watt scares most off but its not a issue unless your into 45 SET or amps of similar power, f200a can run well off 2a3 with 3-4 watts. And even 45 SET works fine if used in nearfield.