Thinking about a new, lower end CD Player

My current CD player is a basic, older Sony, probably 10-12 years old. Works fine but I could use it in another location with a lower end system. It seems to sound about as good as my Arcam CD92 that lost its DAC a while back.

So now thinking about buying a new CDP and have a couple of questions.

I’d like to keep this in the $300-500 range for units with internal DAC. Not looking for SACD player. Other than a remote, not looking for special features or multi disk players.

I’m guessing that in this price range SQ is probably comparable to other units in that range.

First, is a CDP in this price range going to sound any better than the old Sony?
Second, if not, is there any reason not to just buy a comparable $200 unit?
Third, for units in this price range ($300-500) is there any reason to look for one with balanced output capability and if so, is there any way to know if it is truly balanced.

Thanks all,

George

n80
No plans to do so at this point. Will continue to use it as a transport but will probably upgrade my DAC at some point since that will benefit my server and streaming as well.
"There were a lot of good Denon BluRay, DVD CD players that sounded real good for CDs.   Denon DVD-2500BTCI, DENON DVD-3910 DENON DVD-5910..."
As much as the sound of Denon x910 series was unexpectedly good, they were prone to laser failures. At least 2910 and 3910 might have had the same assembly but I am not sure. "Prone to laser failures" for the most part translates into "count on it". Mine failed CDs but has continued just fine with SACDs, DVD-A, DVD-V, and video discs of some sort. Basically, isolated CD failure. It was almost ten years old when it happened.  In case you are considering one of those, check with all the disc formats you may be interested in and not just a CD and consider it operable.
glupson
Does Denon still offer parts and service for their older spinners ( 2910/3910/5910) ?  I know that several of the modding operations are no longer around.
Happy Listening!

jafant,

I have not checked with Denon, but, a couple of weeks ago, I did look up videos about replacing the drive on the Internet and looked for parts on eBay, They are available used so who knows what they would end up being. There were no new ones I could see at that moment which may indicate that Denon quit supplying them.

Another observation from eBay was that a number of players were advertised as "not playing CD" or SACD, or whatever else. Quick Google search for "Denon 2910 CD not playing" (or something similar to that) brought a lots of comments telling me I am not the only one. Hence my previous post. I would stay away from buying those players these days, unless they are cheap enough not to be disappointed with failure.

I wonder if modding operations are gone simply because the market for it has shrunk as people have gradually moved on to less physical formats. There is probably only a handful of us who have these Denons sitting around and have not tossed them yet.

I recently bought a CD (SACD, in fact) player and everyone I tell it to asks me "who still buys CD players these days?" I guess, n80 and me.