What is the most dramatic way of increasing a speaker's Bass and Low mid?

Hi-

I am wondering what would give the most dramatic increase in bass and low mid projection/Volume, even on account of accuracy ...

My speakers can go down to 28hz but i need to boost it’s level, not frequency extension. They are 2 way with bass reflex port. 6.5" woofer size and a tweeter. Floor standing.

My floor is old hardwood strips.

placement and coupling methods are the first things that come to mind. I do not want to add an equalizer at this point.

Spikes, footers, concrete platform, direct floor flush contact? anything and everything that YOU know works.
Speculations on untested methods are not needed as i need real life experience from people.

Thanks!
Rea

128x128dumbeat
dgarretson, as usual your eloquent explanation is thorough and insightful. Nice to hear from you again! 

Prof, we may be talking past each other on your first rebuttal; I'm not saying cables have little influence literally on the sound in a studio. I am saying that the fantastic resources of the studio to manipulate the sound do not transfer, i.e. presence of mixer, to the home. The environments and tools to contour sound are radically different. In the home environment cables take on a much more important role in shaping the sound. 

As to your second argument, my experience with dozens of brands and many looms of cables is fundamentally different, which leads to my statement about sound quality of a system and cables. Consistently use of lower end, less expensive, etc. cables (and, yes, pro oriented such as Mogami) have been mediocre by a great deal perceptually. I just recently once again had that experience as I was testing out three different sets of Y cables, and the worst was the pro/musician brand, while the best (clearly audible) was the specialty one from Audio Sensibility.  It seems we will simply disagree on this topic. I would suggest that your perspective is a disservice to audiophiles if you wish to make it a declaration. I can add the phrase, "... in my experience," and then we are not pretending we have absolute knowledge. We  are at this point at an impasse, however I suspect we will continue to be cordial. :) 

dumbeat, your prodigious skills and knowledge regarding studio does not all translate directly to home audio - or else you wouldn't be asking for a relatively simple fix for an audiophile in your original post. Many of those with decades of experience in home audio would know how, and successfully obtain the result they wanted.

Note this; home audio is not as much a science as in the studio, but more so an art, due to the difference in equipment available. I get what you declared without substantiation in regard to cables being the last 1%, but take way all the toys of the studio and now what have you to contour sound? The very recommendations in regard to placement, room prep and cables that the experienced audiophiles are recommending.

Bill Dudleston of Legacy Audio does work inside and outside the studio. As an experiment he humored me in a review of his Legacy Whisper speaker; he upgraded the internal wiring and caps at my request in an effort to see what improvement might result. He had doubts, but afterward measured a 2 dB change in the speaker's bass. You know how significant that is. So, one recommendation I could give you is to consider upgrading the speaker's internal wiring and caps. If you don't like the suggestion of changing external wiring, perhaps you will accept the experience of a person who does work in the studio and found that internal wiring and caps made a difference. 

As far as arguing with the people here with extensive experience who are trying to help you, go right ahead if you feel you must, but you are rejecting the very means you say you seek in fixing the problem. Please sit down in front of your rig with some different power, IC and speaker cables, and do some critical listening. I have had some well known industry members visit my room and hear comparisons between cables themselves. Like them, you will learn something. Now, if you are unwilling to do that, then cordially I am finished with our discussion. 
:)

Knowing the speaker helps. The balance is a touch bright. Try crossing the tweeters in front or behind your head. This will roll off the treble, as will tilting so you listen closer to the woofer axis.

Again though, room acoustics matter. The perceived frequency response of the ear integrates over time, so adding absorption to bring down the unwanted areas can be helpful, or removing absorption in key areas.

Best,
Erik

Dumbeat, in my experience cabling can make an audible difference which does not show up in the kind if measurements you are asking for.

Since I'm a speaker guy, I tend to give a lot of credit and/or blame to the speakers.  I do not look to cabling to fix my speakers, nor do I blame the cabling if my speakers suck. 

At a recent audio show we exhibited speakers that have a secondary array of drivers, firing to the rear, which are not very loud relative to the main speakers.  Their calculated contribution to the summed SPL is only about two-tenths of a decibel.  This secondary array of drivers was connected to the amplifier by a separate speaker cable from the main array.  This last detail is important to what I'm going to describe.

During set-up at first we hooked everything up with cabling that we had on hand.  Then several hours later the cable company we were sharing the room with arrived (Clarity Cables).  We changed cables one-by-one, because we had time, and because we wanted to listen for changes and decide whether the original cabling or the cable company's cabling sounded the best.  No one from the cable company was present for this.

I'll only describe what happened when we changed the speaker cables going to that array of rear-firing drivers, the ones contributing only .2 dB.

When we made that change, a harshness that I had been blaming on my speakers disappeared.  I had been planning to make a crossover change before the show opened the next day, and with the new speaker cables going to that rear-firing array, it was clear that no crossover change was needed.  I was amazed and relieved. 

The amplifier designer (Hans Looman of Resonessence) is the one who explained what was going on.  His explanation shifted my paradigm about cables.  He said that the original cables had been acting like antennas and picking up radio frequency signals, which the amplifier's feedback/error correction circuitry interpreted as distortion.  The error correction circuitry was therefore working like mad trying to correct this "distortion", and THAT was the source of the harshness I had been hearing.  It was coming from the amps, as they tried to correct for something their error-correction circuitry interpreted as a distortion.  The Clarity Cables did not behave as antennas and so the amplifier was no longer trying to correct for the radio-frequency "distortion".

Given that the secondary array of drivers was only contributing .2 dB, it would be unlikely that any minor changes in their frequency response due to the cabling change would be audible.  However if that cabling change made a significant difference in the amplifier's behavior, that difference would also show up in the main speakers, where it could theoretically be audible (and in this case, it was). 

I think this is an example of a non-obvious mechanism by which cabling can make a difference.  And no I don't have data to prove this, so you'll have to decide whether what I've described passes your "reasonableness" test.  Truth precedes observation, and observation precedes data. 

Duke

Hey Douglas. I appreciate your commentals and I apologize if i sound like i am rejecting ideas that i may have not tried. You are right about that. 

That said, eq’ing with wire type is crazy as far as cost and lack of real data. You gotta give me that. 

But i hear ya. Yoi may as well be correct, but for me id probably start woth buying the correct components for the sound i seek, ie speakers and amp, than maybe a little eq for correction and only than, if i win the lottery, id bring home 20k worth of wire for a db or two here and there. But thats me and im not saying its the best way. Its my way. 
Awaiting shipping of the little schiit(duh?) eq. If that dint do it bye bye speakers. Move on.