Anyone compared GoldenEar Triton 7 with Triton Reference?

Hi folks -- newbie here.

Has anyone compared GoldenEar Triton 7s with GoldenEar Triton References?

Asking because I have Triton 7s + subwoofer, and am looking to upgrade. So I auditioned [7’s + subwoofer] and References side by side at 2 different dealers, playing my own music, and switching back and forth repeatedly between the two sets. To my ears, the References provided maybe 40% bigger soundstage, and maybe 5-10% better detail and clarity. This was surprising to me, given the large difference in price points: $8.5K for Reference vs. maybe $3K for Triton 7 + sub. (Maybe my ears aren’t experienced enough to appreciate the differences...?)

Has anyone directly compared the 7s and Refs in similar listening environments? How did you think they compared?  (How much better did you think the Refs were...?)

Thanks!
otinkyad
jackd, thanks for the additional information.  If I were thinking about Spatial, I think I would be looking at the M3 Triode Masters that you have, rather than the X-2s (because I'd be uncomfortable purchasing $10K speakers without having listened to them at all; because I couldn't find much by way of reviews/measurements; and because the Spatial website doesn't mention a return window for the X-2's -- unlike for the M3 Triodes).  So, wrt the M3 Triode Masters: how essential do you think it is for them to have a sub each?  (Having to get 2 matching subs raises the effective price quite a bit over $4K).  Do you think a single 15-inch 600 watt sub could work with them, for a large 7000-8000 cu ft room?  I realize you can't give any definitive answers, just asking what you'd guess... thanks!

mlsstl, thanks for the info on the way in which TRefs were to large.

winefix, thanks for your thoughts on GE within-range comparisons.  I believe from other threads I've seen that you currently have M3 Triode Masters?  If so, can I ask you the same question I asked jackd:  Do you think a single 15-inch 600 watt sub could work with them, for a large 7000-8000 cu ft room?  -- thanks.

Also, to both jackd and winefix: any suggestions on how to figure out whether someone not too far from Iowa has them (M3 Triode Masters) and would let me come and listen...?  (Post to the Audiocircle thread...?)

@winefix...……………………………………………………….

"and screamed cheap parts when shined a flashlight and was up close with the drivers and parts." I question on weather you are an expert on speaker drivers? Are you a raw speaker driver manufacturer? What do you know about cheap parts and speaker drivers?  Please, I am waiting to be enlightened with your driver wisdom.
@otinkyad 

I have only tried the Triode Masters with dual subs so kind of hard for me to say.  Unless you already have the sub you are asking about I would prefer even a pair of smaller subs compared to one but ultimately you will have to try it and see and then work from there.  Also like with the GE's don't get fooled by the sensitivity ratings and think low powered amps are fine as that is not the case with either brand.
@stereo5 

I am an experienced consumer with nearly $250k worth of gear in and out of my rooms. Also, vast experience with furniture grade cabinets as well. So, yeah you could say I know a thing or two about quality parts in audiophile equipment.
Always look at build quality up close and assess ergonomics, not just the sound.
As stated, love the GE house sound and dont mind the quality of parts used for the lower priced models, but for the Tref
and $8500 !!! I guess it’s like calling someone’s kid ugly, looks like you are offended. Sorry, I stand by my own opinion on the Tref and lack of value and build quality for the price point. You might think it’s built like a Harbeth, if so, great !!
But, Not what I would recommend and not even close to what I feel are better quality drivers I have owned in Zu, Vandersteen, Gallo, off the top of my head. 

As for Spatials, love em !! They use 4 15” inexpensive paper woofers from Eminenece (made in USA) and a high quality and absolutely amazing compression drivers which I think are from France?
Top of the line crossovers from Mundorf and it just works like magic for less than $4k retail and factory direct for much less for demo model with 20 year warranty. 
Had the M3 Triodes and now have the M1 Triodes.
To me, both wipe the floor of the GE refs.
X2 on my list of speakers to try next year along with others. Pretty pricey though and may not offer value. Can’t comment just yet on them.
As always your mileage may vary, just offering my experienced opinion. 

Otinkyad,

My main room is 20x15x8 and both Triode Masters worked great without a sub.
4 - 15” open baffle woofers was all I needed 99% of the time in that space for bass. Playing Royals from Lorde sounded pretty damn low. Some tracks sounded a hair better with a sub, but I really did not need it.