PS Direct Stream latest firmware, "Snowmass"

Just installed the latest firmware "Snowmass" that is offered by PS Audio and WOW what a difference in sound quality! Wider, deeper soundstage and with increased dynamics. The sound also has such a purity of sound that I just can’t believe.

Right now it is in Beta testing, the firmware should be available to all others Monday at NO cost!

"It’s the gift that keep’s on giving Rusty".

ozzy
128x128ozzy
I wonder how the PS Direct Stream with the new Snowmass firmware would compare to the $$$ Dac's? I'll bet it would compete.

ozzy
The DirectStream with Snowmass punches far above its weight. It’s no longer a mere hiring component. It’s a musical instrument. (Would be remiss to omit to my ears in my system. 

But still. 

Sat down after upgrading intending to get a quick first impression. Seven hours later I was still listening. Deeply involving—no more wondering which part of my system to upgrade.

An interesting reminder that those who preach  “source first” may have a point.  

And the crazy part is that Ted Smith believes there is still room for improvement. 

How high is up. 

Here's my advice:

If you are a billionaire, buy $$$ DAC, since you can afford to throw it away when the next $$$$ DAC becomes available, and then throw that one away when the next $$$$$ DAC is released, $$$$$$, $$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$$, $$$$$$$$$$, etc. 

But if you're an ordinary schlubb like me, or you're extremely shrewd, buy a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. It's as good as it gets (maybe even better than $$$ DAC) and it's gonna' get better and better with each of Ted Smith's firmware releases. 
Anyone have an idea what type of things Ted Smith is changing? Using a FPGA is it code that he is changing or reconfiguring the software? Still using Delta Sigma DAC isn’t he?