Which band IS really America's Greatest (rock & roll band)?

When I consider my priorities for this category, I cannot come up with any other than CCR.

Their output as a band was short compared to others, yes..

When I say America's greatest rock & roll band, this = the output or even the basis on which a band formed, had in their DNA, America's roots! It doesn't even matter that we now know CCR formed in California, their DNA as a band transformed their birthplace but it more importantly brought forth the (soul) of get down and dirty) Rock & Roll in it's raw form!

HELL YEAH!
128x128slaw
@tzh21y, unfortunately, Buffalo Springfield were history by the time of CSN&Y. If you think about it, they had to be, as Stephen Stills and Neil Young were in both.
Jafreeman makes a good point with Indigenous. Saw them live and Mato is probably one of the best guitarists no one has ever heard of. I’m going with the Allman Brothers. Can’t even imagine where they might have gone with Duane along for the journey. Midwestjerry called it, too, must be a Midwest thing.

Good folks, I had never even heard of this band before. They were
out of Detroit and became a ’group’ in 1964. The group was is called MC5. Check out their tune ’Motor cities burning’ and others on you tube. They were punk long before the Ramones and Iggy Po who also is from Detroit. It must be a Midwest thang.

The MC5 and Iggy & The Stooges were both signed to Elektra Records in 1968. The two bands were contemporaries, the MC5 hardly being "punk long before Iggy Po (Pop)". Though you may have just recently learned of The MC5 tyray, they are a very well known band. I don't think of them as a Punk band, but what's in a name?