Reference 3A MM De Capo vs Legacy Calibre

I am starting the process of putting together a new system. An important design goal is the speakers will be stand mounts. I have heard the De Capo's but not the Calibre's. I am most interested in others opinions on monitor/stand mounted speakers. I am attending RMAF in two weeks and hope to check out ideas while there.

My budget could go as high as 12K for the Reference 3a Reflector.Yet, the less expensive monitors may be good enough.

Please share your ideas and impressions.

Ag insider logo xs@2xchangeout

Yes, Joseph Audio has a demonstration room at the RMAF.I will stop in to check them out.

In the last ten years I have had two speakers in my system the the four way horns and  Lowther Opus One with PM4A drivers. I want / need to listen to several different speakers. All of your ideas are helpful and refreshing.

Post removed 
Tomic601 said

"a bit off topic..i looked at website and the high resolution photo of the carbon fiber midrange looks pretty rough.....is that me ?.... or ???"

Smooth actually, with a texture not unlike snake skin, if you’re familiar, smooth but woven, NOT like woven fiberglass if you are familiar with that, which is definitely not smooth.

Sorry for the above spelling and grammar errors in my last post. I am not too good typing with one finger. I did want to clarify a few things. The Quicksilver mono amps are 90 watts with the KT150 tubes and Changeout the mono 120s replaced them, more power. They have similarities, low output impedance but the transformers are somewhat different, the Silver 88s a unity coupled design.

So far as the DeCapo, the BE tweeter I believe is where the real improvement is compared to some of the earlier Ref 3a designs I am familiar with other than the Episode and Grand Veenas with the Murata supertweeter. No harshness as is common with some if not all metal domes. Vocals and choral music on good recordings is just so realistic with great presence and pitch realism. I have read people comment that they like the old design better with the soft dome. I adamantly disagree with this conclusion, an area I am quite sensitive to is harshness, ringing, overhang or splash. There is none of that with the BE. One thing about the DeCapos that is worth noting is that they take time to break-in and initially I found them a bit bright although I was so taken in with their other virtues. I expected it would be a breakin issue which proved true but it did take time. I have heard them sound less than stellar during a few demos. Set-up is more critical than many.

@d2girls Why would you base the calibres performance on the stereophile review of the studio hd?  It's a completely different model