Advice for killer desktop speakers

I am looking to upgrade my desktop listening experience and could use the advice of the community. Is there anything in the same price range as the Audioengine 5+ that I should consider? The Audioengines seem to be the consensus choice, but am unsure if this is just online hype and inertia. I do not want a subwoofer and I do not have enough desk space to go any bigger than the Audioengine 5. I tried using a pair of Kef Q150 speakers paired with a Dayton Audio APA 150 amp, but the speakers are just too big for my desk.  I think i would prefer to have powered speakers for the simplicity and utilize the Dayton in another room. I  normally listen at moderate volumes and need them to sound good at relatively low levels.  Any suggestions?
jplunkettj
Audience 1+1 v2 with Benchmark amplifier is what I have. I will upgrade to v3 next Saturday. I have been blabbing about the Audience + Benchmark combo on various threads since the beginning of this year.

Next Saturday I am going to also listen to the Magico A3. If I like it then the Audience + Isoaccustics stands will go directly on top of the Magicos’. It should be an interesting office system with 2 speakers. Listen separately to each speaker.

I also own the KEF LS50 + Peachtree Nova 150. I enjoy both the Audience and KEF equally. They are different sounding. The Audience is super clean sounding. A few reviews stating that it is like peeking into the recording studio. I tend to agree though I have never been to a recording studio, so what do I know. The KEF does not sound as clean but I just love the sound from that speaker. I think it images better than the Audience and it is just so enjoyable to listen to.
Glad to hear you like this combo, yyzsantabarbara.  Will be interested to hear how it works with the upgraded v3....thanks!
@mcanaday I am moving into a much bigger office space in 3 months so I went speaker shopping yesterday for a floor stander. I found one that I am going to buy, the Magico A3. I was planning on keeping the Audience 1+1 in the office loop to play at low volumes late at night. However, the Magico also does this low volume trick well and it is redundant for me to keep the Audience 1+1.

I have also dropped off the Audience speaker (in person) at an LA dealer yesterday who will send my speakers to Audience to upgrade them from V2 to V3. It is a $500 job and I have no clue on how it will sound. Speakers are 8 months old.

I have listed my Benchmark gear for sale because I will require an integrated amp with 4 analog inputs to drive my gear in the new more spacious office. These analog pieces have been gathering dust in my closet for the past few years. I will list the Audience 1+1 V3 for sale once I get it back in my hands (likely next week).
The blumenstein orcas are very nice if you get the ones with the limited edition drivers - fostex fe83 SOL. They need bass support below 100hz so an 8 inch REL sub works well. These have much more resolution than the A5s and no crossover to smear the sound.