Solid State vs. Tubes - What if Transistors came first?

What do you guys think?

If transistors came first, and then decades later tubes were invented, would we have any tube amps we would call high end?

Wouldn’t they all fail to reach the height of performance and transparency set by transistor amps?

Best,

E

P.S. I love Conrad Johnson. I'm just wondering how  much of our arguments have to do with timing. 
erik_squires
That is what I, kind of, thought, too. The point between tubes and SS ends up being no point at all, if we are trying to reproduce the actual live event. Too many other variables get involved. To start, unless it is classical music, even "acoustic" one does get through some mode of electronic processing almost all the time. Not while playing guitar at home, but any venue bigger than a living room or so. Chasing some sound with tubes or transistors does not do much for actual reproduction. And that is for live performances which are maybe a smaller percentage of music sold. Who on Earth knows how something was supposed to sound in that studio half the world away? Good news is that these days it is getting to electronic sounds anyway so we do not even need to talk about "more natural".

My previous post was because I happen to have been at that particular Leonard Cohen concert and that song was the highlight of the evening. I remember it really vividly as does probably everyone who was there. There is no way that any equipment at home would reproduce it. Tubes or SS. First someone has to built a sports arena and then damp it with a few thousand people and their winter coats. Traps, corner contraptions, and first reflection things just would not cut it. Until that happens, it is all just babbling, I think. Otherwise, I think SS is much more convenient as it does not require changes. Just like automatic transmission is. I am not sure about cables etc.
Analog recordings are almost non existent nowadays.  I have heard great DDD recordings and analog...so much goes into the final mix.  Why argue anyway?  We have both available for our needs!  Enjoy what moves you.
Class A also consistently sounds more pleasing to me. I would not dare to say it is more natural, believable, or something like that, but it does tickle me right. So does "loudness" button more often than not, I sheepishly admit.
“Solid state is more convenient.”

Out if the mouths of babes....

So, gentle readers, it all comes down to precisely the same reason why most people prefer digital. Convenience. Why didn’t he just come right out and say it and spare us all the philosophizing?