Looking for ideas - new mono blocks for stereo music

Hello!

I am on a bit of a mission to upgrade my equipment and just recently purchased the Esoteric K-01X SACD player.
In my case, the primary focus for critical listening is stereo music (aka red book CD) from the Esoteric.
My current chain is from the Esoteric through the Marantz 8802A into the Bryston 7B-SST2 powering a pair of JBL 1400 Array speakers.
I am very happy with the JBLs and just upgraded to the K-01X (had the X-03SE before).

Right now I would like to hear some suggestions for new mono blocks. I am already planning on adding the Esoteric C-03X(s) to the system to replace the Marantz as (stereo) pre-amp.

The primary focus is detail and resolution as I really love hearing new aspects of CDs that previous equipment couldn't reveal.
Soundstage and instrument placement are also high on the list. Bass slam / impact is not really a priority since I am stuck in an apartment for the time being.
Another factor is heat - I am looking for an amp, not a space heater. Especially considering the already hot summers in Toronto!
The price ceiling for me is somewhere around $20,000/pair

My current short list consists of:
Grandinote
Pass Labs
Simaudio
Mark Levinson

Now it's time for the brainpool (that's you guys!) to have at it :)

Thanks in advance!
128x128eohtar
@eohtar 

If you're after warmer sounding SS amps in order to tame your tweeters on your JBL I would get the McIntosh MC601 monoblock amps (recently discontinued) or their replacement MC611 monoblock amps. 

Again all the amps that you listed above are great but it's a matter of sonic synergy with your speakers and the rest of your setup gears, cables, etc, etc....
It's all about system synergy as a whole. 
The perfect synergy and best pairings of all your equipments will achieve excellent results. 
Post removed 

It’s not that the JBL 1400 is a "horn loaded speaker" that is causing you to think you may need something warmer to tame it. It is because the 1400 has a titanium dome tweeter as well as an aluminum dome midrange driver. The breakup of metal dome drivers will cause a bright edge to the sound and this can make you think you need something warmer. It’s entirely possible, but also keep in mind that the 7Bsst2 amps are very dry and forward - these can definitely sound somewhat harsh with metal dome tweeters. It could give you a very hard edge type of sound.

Another thing to watch out for is amps/preamps that are very warm will, essentially, smear the high frequencies somewhat. This can also come across as harsh sounding, especially on metal dome tweeters. The Marantz 8802 is definitely very warm and will lose resolution or cause smear in the high frequencies. So, you already have two counts towards a harsher sound.

I would say to get the smoothest amplifier you think you can get. If that turns out to be a Parasound JC1, then fine. It could also be the Bryston 7b3 will be very smooth with its revised Class A input stage (the amp is still Class AB).

Another amp to consider at this point is the Krell Solo 375 or 575 monoblocks (575 is a lot more expensive - but I doubt that you will need more than 375 watts). The new Krell Solo and Duo amps using a sliding Class A bias that will give you the sound of bipolar Class A without the heat. The result is a very smooth sound. It has an ethereal and creamy quality to the midrange and will likely give you more resolution than the JC1s (the JC1s are based on a FET input stage which is not as clean or high resolution). Krell uses all bipolar audio stages. This new series is probably very much like the old Krell FPB series without the massive Class A heat. I think this will be a lot more forgiving on the JBL titanium dome tweeters and will not have the hard edge that many other amps will do.

The sonic signature of Class A differs based on design. The Krell bipolar circuit "Class A" sound is very smooth and creamy and ethereal, with clean clear high frequencies. The Parasound / Pass Labs "Class A" type sound is more warm / thick with textured thick mids and could have softer rolled off high frequencies. It is entirely a matter of taste and desired result here.

Finally, I would be careful of interconnect / speaker wire / power cord selection. With titanium dome tweeters, I would remove any silver or silver-plated elements in your system. Silver will push the upper mids/highs and make those titanium tweeters extra bright. It can also cause the midrange to be pushed into the artificial signature.

Sorry, correction.  The Krell Solo appears to be a full Class A amp, but with cooling fans.  Up to you, but it is definitely a very clean and smooth sound.
Just in case you think the link I provided was for an integrated, it was not. It's for mono blocks made by the same company. 

All the best,
Nonoise