Anthem or Emotiva

I currently am using a Pioneer Elite SC-65 as a pre-amp, not using any of the amplifier section asI'm not impressed with the audio output....I have an Anthem PVA-7 amplifier that the Pioneer feeds into. 
I'm looking at replacing the Pioneer and due to my budget, and lack of knowledge of hi end audio gear, I am looking at either the Anthem AVM-60 or the Emotiva XPS-1.....If it was you, which one would you get?? OR is there something better for the same money?? 
joeschmoe
Anthem or try the marantz av8802A...it is a highly regarded preamp and you can pick up a open box for $1800 since they just released the 8805
If you don't require all the bells and whistles that the latest Anthem offers, consider the Anthem MRX710. I picked one up for $900.00. A steal! It blows everything away that I've tried at least in sound quality. Good luck. Joe
I'm going to go against the flow and say Emotiva :-).

I standardized on the XMC-1 (I have three of them) and moved to them from the Pioneer SC-1222K. Couldn't be happier with the sound upgrade !

Between the Marantz and the Anthem, it is a matter of taste and desired sonic signature.  The Anthem is going to have much more resolution, attack and detail.  The Marantz 8802a is an excellently designed platform with a massive main power supply and excellent localized power supply filter around all section of the DAC I/V board.  Individual discrete analog output stages.  However, the Marantz is voiced on the warm side, so it will be much warmer and slower than the Anthem.  You're interpretation could be that the Marantz lacks excitement and slam.  Alternatively, you could favor the Marantz for music because of the warm/thick tones.  The Anthem could be seen as very bright (bordering on harsh) when compared to the Marantz.

For home theater movie excitement, I would choose Anthem over Marantz every time.  However, if you liked the warm thick solid tones of music and horns, the Marantz would be better.

Emotiva..
ı have been to their Tennessee location and listened to many of their product.
you get so much for your money.