Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
Actually, I think the original OHM Fs used titanium, aluminum, and paper in their famous Walsh driver. Maybe the new 1000s are steering back in the direction of using more exotic materials in the driver again? I can't find any mention of what is used in the new drivers anywhere. The OHM site only indicates that they are new and the resulting sound is "evolutionary".

The Walsh driver operates differently than conventional dynamic drivers. I don't know if metal construction lends any particular sound in the case of a Walsh driver.
There is an Audio Research D400 mkII SS amp up for sale here now. THis is one I find very tempting to try, but it is only marginally more powerful than what I have (200 w/ch versus 120w/ch, but the first few dozen watts are Class A and it is a lot bigger and heavier I believe).
Mapman, you're right. I should know better than to dismiss the aluminum driver in Ohm's 2000 model before hearing it, especially given the surprise I got with the Luxman receiver. I had my eyes opened this past weekend when the guy I picked up the Walsh 2's from invited me to hear his collection of vintage components. He was actually the one who suggested the pairing of the Luxman to the vintage Ohm's. His setups would not be considered ultra revealing, but damn, I could live with that kind of sound very happily and never feel the need to upgrade again. Anyway, I'm calling John Strohbeen today to move forward with the upgrade to the 2000.
The issue I have with the OHM 5s is largely attributable to my L shaped room. Bass levels are up to snuff with the 100.3s in the smaller room towards the front of my main listening area but drops off further back. This is the L shaped room with thin carpeted concrete foundation floors where the OHMS sit in the short end of the L firing into the long length, where most listening is done (see my system photo with the Jack Russell Terrier adornment). In the short end of the L and just in front, bass levels are good...further back they drop off.

I have the Ohm 4XO cabinets with the Walsh 5Mk-2 drivers on them in a room that's 16' X 24'. The speakers are centered on the long wall and spaced 6.5' from each other (center to center). There is only about 11' of back wall though, because of the open format, I have no idea how this is affecting the bass response. Maybe it's a trade-off, bass not as good as could be but less standing wave problems.

Some years ago I called OHM and asked John what amp. he would recommend that would make these speakers sing, he recommended the Sunfire Signature so i picked a used one up on Audogon and a used Legacy preamp.as well and have (on occasion) had it up to 75% gain, they handled the power without a problem.

THE,

When you talk to John, see if you can get him to elaborate some on the new driver designs on the various new 1000 series speaks.

Use of metal foils or other new or more exotic materials in the Walsh drivers again similar to original OHM Fs or even the modern German Physiks DDD driver would be news of interest to many who perhaps are partial to other Walsh driver designs.