What will become of my beloved CDs?

I have nearly 2000 CDs (DVDA, SACD, etc) and am very fond of them, or at least the music that is on them. However, it seems that music distribution is going to someday soon be totally on-line through downloads (True? When?). So, when most all of the music on my CDs is available in higher-quality on-line downloads (with artwork, I'm sure), what will become of my CDs? Will they be the shiny-silver equivalent to 8-Track tapes? Or, will they become a novelty and collectable? Should I seel them ASAP?? Any economists here???
bday0000
craigl59,

Your garage seems to be an interesting place. Any wind-up record players there?

Bose people probably have no time to respond to you. They are perfecting their headphones and Bluetooth speakers and use all those computers for that. Which reminds me that I have a SONY Bluetooth speaker that is great. Better than Bose. Not Krell, but for the hotel room just what the doctor prescribed.
Post removed 

glupson:

No wind-up players but have taken a large 2 car garage and slimmed it down to one single car space with industrial shelves for the old stuff. AND, YES, have over 30 boxes of nothing but cables (carefully organized...). Have built several small home studios and the number of cables in the world, just like Cavalier Spaniel hair, is infinite...

craigl59,

"...have over 30 boxes of nothing but cables (carefully organized...)"
And your power company thought someone was stealing their power lines to sell for scrap metal. How naive of them.

glupson:

Well, I have a vintage Oppo BDP-83 (garaged of course) that has had its value increase dramatically because of Oppo's demise. Don't think it has SACD, though.

My two main sound systems are video-based on Oppo Darbee players and when they die, will be up the creek. Just like CDs, think that Oppo overreacted to the supposed upcoming demise of the CD in closing its shop.

BTW, experimented with SACD offerings for several years and to my ears, the best sounding ones are those that reissue quadriphonic releases from the 70s. The Doors, Pink Floyd, and Blue Oyster Cult SACDs are spellbinding. The quad revolution (remember it well) did not mind funneling a lot of music content to the back speakers. And its a gas, still, today.