Filling speaker Stands?

I have a modest system. Continually look for ways to improve it's performance even to a slight degree. I have read many posts about improvements than can be achieved by filling the hollow spaces of some speaker stands with some type of material....sand, kitty litter, lead shot, and some others. Here are the stands I have......
https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/speaker-stands/sf26/ 
These stands are of metal construction. There are 2 upright support tubes which are approx. 2" diameter. The stands sit on a carpet floor with spikes. On the top plates are a layer of Sorbothane and PSB Imagine B speakers sit on top of that. The 2 metal supports are attached to the base and top plate with just threaded holes about 1/4 " diameter. Pouring some type of dampening  material would definitely require a funnel.
The reason I ask this question is that, when I thump on each upright post, it rings for several seconds. A dampening fill would minimize this but would filling those posts really benefit the speaker performance to even a small degree given my modest setup? I don't know. Probably, few have experimented with this type of scenario.Thanks for any advice.

jrpnde
jrpnde,

Thanks for this thread. It was informative to read different solutions and thoughts. Hopefully, you got your answer. Enjoy.
@glupson - My sincere apologies re Mickey, I should not have besmirched his impeccable gentlemanly  reputation by association with GK.
A fun and good tweak but take my advice and stuff a large plastic bag into the stands to hold the shot.. Believe me if a stand should fall over you won't like it..
I use sand in my Solid-Tech columns, and it does the job quite nicely, although it is for my component rack, not speaker bases.