Kinki Studio EX-M1 200wpc Integrated Amplifier

Winner of the ’Blue Moon Award’ from 6Moons / Srajan Ebaen

Here is the ’summary’ last page from 6Moons:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/kinki/6.html

And the first page for those interested in the full review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/kinki/1.html

215W (8 Ohms)  Inputs: 3 RCA  1 XLR  

Offered via Vinshine Audio in Singapore.

Currently SGD 2898 which equals ~ USD 2135.
david_ten
"Reading the ad makes me want to buy another one. 😄"

does yours have the high/low gain switch?
i saw the picture of your rack, do you have a heat problem with it being so closed in?

mine should ship Friday, can't wait.

No, mine doesn't have the high/low gain switch as it was the first version. After living with my Marantz, which I had to turn up at least a quarter of the way before I could hear it, it's nice to have it come on with great resolution at around that first watt. 

Wasn't it some tube amp designer (Decware?) who said something like, if you can't hear/use the first watt, what good are the remaining ones? Or something like that? With a proper set up, you can get most of what you need with that first watt, and this amp does that, so why curtail it?

I can see if one has a super efficient speakers (98db or higher) since you don't want to blow something out, but I like having it come on early. I find it very refreshing. 👍

All the best,
Nonoise
Nonoise, to clarify a minor point, the gain of the amp affects the position of the volume control at which the first watt occurs. But the first watt is the first watt, and will produce the same volume with a given pair of speakers whether it occurs at a 9 o’clock setting of the volume control with a high gain amp, or at a 3 o’clock setting with a low gain amp.

On the other hand, of course, the first watt of two different amps can sound considerably different.

Best regards,
-- Al
I contacted the designer, via email, about using his amp with my modified Klipsch Lascalas, ( 104 db ) and he indicated the gain switch was for situations such as this. I obviously do not need this much power, although I have had monster sized amps driving them in the past. I always prefer smaller amps ( with less signal path / less output transisters ), but the circuitry with the EX-M1 is quite minimal, considering the output of this thing. Enjoy ! MrD.
Thanks for the clarification, Al. I was under the impression that some watts were wasted if one had to crank up the volume before hearing something. 

And, mrdecibel, the designer of my now, sadly gone, Tonian Labs TL-D1 speaker was of the same mind as you. He felt that the best amps had just one pair of output transistors (one per channel) as they had the speed necessary for sounding real. As one doubled up or went further, it slowed and muddled things too much for his tastes.

All the best,
Nonoise