Affordable Processor with Fabulous 2 Channel ?

Gang,

I'm using my Mytek Brooklyn DAC as a pre for music and TV. It is fabulous sounding but I really would like to have 5.1 channel surround, and a single remote! 

Is there an affordable processor (used OK) that has at least as good 2 channel performance? Emotiva is right out. I owned one, and it sounded thin as paper. I note that there are a lot of Krell processors for sale at reasonable prices. 

Thoughts?

Erik
erik_squires
I've been following this discussion pretty closely as I'm in a similar pre-pro decision making point.
Excellent 2.0 listening is the goal, with decent 7.1 HT capabilities desired. I have no desire for any Atmos, etc. 
Video will be direct from an Oppo 205 so I do not care at all about pass-through/ switching of the pre-pro.
All audio input would be either XLR for FL/ FR (vs combo XLR/ RCA analog for 7.1) or HDMI with the source an Oppo 205. All other sources would flow through the Oppo, so I really do not care about the input aspect of the pre-pro.
Therefore the Krell Foundation and Classe SSP 800/ Sigma are all pretty equal for me.
The one aspect I'm not excited about is the limited output connectivity on the Classe Sigma range.
However I'm wondering about the advantage/ disadvantage of RCA ended vs XLR interconnects for the 5 surround channels.

BTW, 

I just wanted to comment that the Classe SSP is doing what the Theta Casanova used to. Convert all analog inputs to digital, use DSP for crossover and EQ.  There was no pure analog pathway in it. 

I also loved mine. I upgraded mainly to get a more modern DAC and HDMI compatibility. 
@Erik_squires 

Nope. The Classe SSP 800 & Sigma SSP do not convert their analog inputs to digital. There’s an analog bypass feature that you need to choose.
It will however convert it to digital if you choose to use their crossover and use the manual PEQ with the analog audio inputs. But if one wants to use their analog audio inputs most likely will bypass DSP and other digital processings. But you will have to tick that analog bypass otherwise DSP and other digital processings gets in the way.

Yep, caphill is correct in that most processors will have a true "analog passthrough" mode.  It's correct that it will not do bass management/crossover, since you are just sending 2-channel analog directly through to the left/right speakers only.  Even Krell has a mode like this.

For HT digital sound quality, caphill may be correct.  The differences in sound quality for 2-channel analog passthrough introduce a new segment:  the analog input stage.  This can actually make or break the sound quality of an HT processor when used as a 2-channel analog preamp.  If caphill is saying that Sigma is better for 2-channel analog, then Classe may have built a better analog input stage.  The SSP-800 was really intended for HT processing, so the analog inputs stages may not be as good.

I do know that the Bryston SP3 uses another set of their discrete Class A circuits for all 8 channels of the input stages, so caphill's comment about the SP3 being great for 2-channel analog audio could be correct. I still don't like the SP3 architecture - where they have a big main power supply, but no localized power supply capacitors around the actual analog circuits.  I have found through R&D that this lack of localized power supply will give you softer mids/highs and a lacking in attack/resolution.  To each their own, though.  One thing I like about Krell Class A circuits is that they have a lot of localized caps (typically soemting like 6 x 47uf capacitors around a single channel audio stage).  This gives them extreme amounts of attack and resolution.  However, the Krell main power supply is typically undersized (especially in their HT processors) so that you get the typical Krell thin/bright sonic signature.

"But high end pre pros like the Classe SSP 800, Classe Sigma SSP, Bryston SP3, Meridian Ref 861 v8 are great for both stereo and surrounds (HT) and can function as high end stereo preamps."

Yup.  I completely agree.  But as multichannel formats and connectivity change as they undoubtedly will, you're stuck with these processors that at some point will not be upgradeable to new formats.  This is one of the main reasons I recommended buying a relatively cheap AVR for processing and spending relatively more money on a good stereo preamp.  If I have a quality stereo pre like the Pass X-2.5 or the Hegel P20 (and yes, I'd challenge even good prepros to match their stereo performance) at the heart of my 2-channel system, do I care too much if video processing or connectivity change in the future?  No.  I just swap in a new and relatively cheap AVR to handle that stuff and go on my merry way with my quality stereo pre -- thank you very much.  Spending the same or more right now to buy a soon-to-be outdated prepro that has a good stereo preamp section makes little sense to me since you'll end up with a boat anchor in the near future when A/V standards inevitably change.  If 2-channel audio is the priority, THIS MAKES ZERO SENSE TO ME.  Why pay for all those expensive multichannel DACs and processors in a high-end prepro if that's not the priority of the system in the first place?  And, by the way, those multichannel features, which are of secondary importance to the OP in the first place, will be THE FIRST things to be obsolete!!!  WHAT???  Again, if 2-channel is the priority -- and with a DAC at the level of a Mytek Brooklyn DAC -- why would you pay so much for stuff that is of secondary importance and will go the way of the Dodo in relatively short order?  Again, if stereo is the priority this older, high-end prepro route makes absolutely NO sense to me.  That's all I got.  Again, best of luck in your decision and peace out.