Electrostat - M-L; Quad or Soundlab - reliable

Looking for the best electrostat that is reliable. Seems as Soundlab sounds the best performed, but is the most unreliable; Quad is second best performer - very safe - easiest to resell but also unreliable. M-L third, but maybe the most reliable.

Is the reliability issue due to people playing "Pink Floyd at 100 dB" or is reliability also an issue for us 80 to 85 dB people?
dcaudio
Maybe the Acoustats were TOO good.... no replacement parts revenue was being generated....

As a long time MartinLogan owners, I can say that how long the panels last really depends on the environment they're in and how they're taken care of.

Monthly vacuuming of the panels keeps the dust buildup to a minimum. Humidity affects the lifespan also.

The newer panels will last 10 years EASILY before needing replacement. My Sequel panel were 16 years old and instead of replacing them, I upgraded.... but you could tell the "magic" was gone...

Hope that helps... I also agree about auditioning a pair of Maggies. They have a similar sound to e-stats. I'm not sure about their reliability, however.. Someone else with more knowledge about Maggies can attest....

Good Luck!

Tom
www.martinloganowners.com
I've read Ohm Walsh speakers referred to as Quads without limits, ie they sound much like Quads with better dynamics and can take whatever power you throw at them and go as loud as you want.

I ended up with two pair of Ohms originally coveting the sound of Quads when things are going right.
I've used stats for over 30 years, including Quads, Soundlabs, and Acoustats. Generalizing can be a misleading, as each has had reliabilty hits and misses, sometimes varying by model- and as Duke wisely points out, sometimes even for the same model. If you love stats, resign yourself to higher maintenance. It goes with the turf. Newer generations of Quads and Soundlabs have improved reliability- if you can afford them, go that route. Older ones can be a bear, unless you learn to get parts and work on them yourself. It's easier than you think to repair or replace old quad panels. Do your research specifically for the model you want, and for the time when it was made. You can improve your odds that way. And keep a good pair of cone speakers as backup. You'll need them some day. And they'll remind you how good your stats really are.
HJS,

Very true and i would suggest looking at the quad ESl 57, the modded ones by PK and others. They are tons ahead of the original and can be driven to some unbelievable levels without issue.

In the past i was also fond of both soundlab and acoustat, it's been awhile since i have heard them, but i did get to hear the modded ESL57 a few weeks ago and they were actually pretty good and powerful , yes ... powerful!!!!

I would not buy a standard ESL57 unless you had intended to mod them !!!

Regards,