New to this. How do I stack my stuff?

I'm new to hifi. I've asked a lot of questions here and some of you may already know my situation but I got the following by chance and for free: Audio Research LS16 tube pre-amp, Arcam CD92 cd player, Madrigal Proceed HPA2 amp. 

It is all up and running and I'm loving it. Now just trying to maximize the little things that I can. For instance, speakers had spike stands but spikes were missing so I made a set.

Now I read in the CD manual that it recommends sorbothane feet and says sound quality will be better.

I'm now figuring out that placement of components is important and that proper stands, expensive ones, are best. Well, expensive stands are not going to happen. But I can try to make accommodations that are cheap and won't turn the room upside down.

Here is how it is all situated now...let the ridicule flow, but keep in mind that I am space limited to a serious extent. Was not sure I'd get the system in my house at all:

The (very) heavy Proceed amp is sitting on a carpeted floor on strips of wood which raise the bottom of it well above the carpet. It is higher above the carpet than it would be above a hard surface just on its own feet.

The CD player is sitting on a small, simple, wooden, antique side table. It is sturdy. The pre-amp is on top of the CD player. I have no idea what this might mean in terms of SQ but the CD player actually puts out a fair amount to heat which rises up into the pre-amp of course. That concerns me.

So other than getting some sorbothane feet for the CD player, what else would be a priority here?

Finally are there issues with which cables contact which cables, how much speaker cables are looped, etc. (Most of the cabling is Transparent Super Bi-wire.)

Thanks for any assistance.
n80
Take the preamp off the cd player and get it on something sturdy. Other than that if you're on a budget it's fine. In terms of footers there are plenty of options many quite inexpensive you can even make your own.

I am not sure what you mean by which cables contact which cables? And I would avoid leaving your speaker cables coiled if possible. I would imagine your cabling is pretty simple, a pair of interconnects cd player to preamp, and a pair of interconnects preamp to amp. Speaker cables amp to speakers. That's it.
Congrats btw that's a very nice system for free! What speakers are you using?
George, unfortunately there is no way for me to get the components outboard of the speakers. The speakers are out in front of the components by about a foot.

jond, behind the pre-amp and CD player the RCA and XLR cables are a bit of a rat's nest. I can straighten them out but not sure if it matters.

The speaker cables are 8 feet long each and the speakers are only about 4 feet on either side of the system. Again, no choice in the matter, so there is one loop of cable on each side. Not ideal I'm sure but the only other solution would be to have them hanging from the wall on a hook or something to prevent the loop.

The speaker s are Aerial Acoustics 7Bs.

You could cut the speaker cables (shorter is better) and clamp the bare wire in the speaker terminals. Otherwise, not a big deal. Stacking components is not the best. I would move the preamp to the transformer-free side of the CD player. Replace the power cords with OFC cords like BLE Design on eBay for $30 each.
@n80- I guess you can ’stack’ equipment, but I always thought that was bad practice for a variety of reasons- heat, interference among components, etc. And your amp, though on wooden strips, is still cushioned by the carpeting- better, I think to spike through the carpet to the underlying floor boards using some kind of spike and constrained layer platform. (All that means is that the materials of the platform have different resonance characteristics, with some sort of elastic compound in the middle, so you are not hearing the sound of one particular material). You can actually make some of this stuff yourself if you are resourceful.
Some people like the sound of certain kinds of wood. You can read about people’s impressions of the sound of various materials simply by searching --maple or butcher block or acrylic, etc.
You don’t necessarily need specialty equipment stands. But the furniture you use to support the equipment will impart a character to the sound-- there was a school of thought with the old Linn turntable about using a very light, flimsy table beneath it. Others like massive pieces-- I used to use a huge old mahogany prayer table to support a 250 lb turntable. It required some sorbothane under the feet of the table itself, not under the gear. The gear sat on top of the prayer table without additional isolation or other material (except for the turntable, which was a special case).
Putting sorbothane under a piece of gear will change the sound. It may be better or not. Certainly cheap enough to experiment with, and you don’t necessarily have to buy the audiophlle branded products to do this. Read up a bit on the difference between coupling and decoupling--I experimented 5 or so years ago, maybe longer, with a bunch of different ’footers’ beneath the power supply to my phono preamp. From an old audiophile expensive cone -the Goldmund, to Herbies footers, to Aurios (don’t remember the model it was like an enclosed roller block so the equipment would shimmy sideways), to some HRS stuff, to Vibrapods (puck and cone) to Stillpoints SS. Believe it or not, the Vibrapod with cone was pretty decent in that particular set up and dirt cheap; the Aurios lent unbelievable clarity but created a strident edge to the sound; the Herbies sounded ’mushy’ to me; the Goldmunds didn’t seem to do much at all. I found the Stillpoints to give me the clarity without the drawbacks of the Aurios. They are money, though.
Hope that helps.
PS: probably not a bad idea to get Jim Smith's book, Get Better Sound. You can order it from Amazon. Even if some of it is known to you, I'll bet you'll learn a few things. Jim's thing is all about 'set-up' and 'playing the room.' That goes beyond your questions-- namely how to 'voice' the system and take advantage of the room, acoustically. But, Jim gets down into all the details of system set up in the process. Well worth reading. 
I agree that using Sorbothane under a component will affect the sound. IME, music will sound less lively, less open.
Herbies Extra firm Tenderfeet would provide good Isolation in your
situation.
http://herbiesaudiolab.net/compfeet.htm

Try to replace the side table so that each component has it's own shelf.