vpi tnt still a performer?

any thoughts on a vpi  graham 1.5 ? I have a line , am i barking up the wrong tree? or should i keep my classic.. 
128x128oleschool
@melm

Thread on a TT is a fascinating audiophile topic on it own. The use of different threads, is similar to using different tubes - different results. I experienced and heard what thread could do with a TNT; but I also saw limitations due to its belt drive design.

Melm - It is well to spray (or soak) the thread with an adhesive.

That sounds kind of yucky to me.
In a TT design that is designed for thread, this is not necessary and it will hurt performance. As an example, with the thread designed original Granito Verdier La Platine; the thread is applied loose and you can in fact flick the thread with your finger as it turns and it does not impact the music delivery.
The remote motor, pulley, platter and bearing design all designed for use with thread.

The 40 number in the previous post was ball park number that I threw out there. I don't remember the actual number, and it was in comparison to that exact thread setup in a thread drive design TT. The message I was trying to get across is that a table designed for belts, if converted to thread, will wear out the thread faster, than a turntable that was designed for thread in the first place. From personal observations this has to do with what is happening at both ends (pulley and platter), the type of contact points, plus the extra tension and slippage that needs to be applied for the belt drive design. 

Personal thread setups do vary greatly especially when extra pulleys are introduced. So to continue a sharing of information here; a picture of your TNT table would be helpful.  

Mike @ VPI, and this is going back many years, told me he used Spider fishing line. I remember this produced "hard sounding" results in my system.

Cheers

I want to thanks everyone for there input,I ended up passing. The reward became minimal to me once it passed the 2k mark,I will keep my classic 1 and be happy :)
"the thread needs to be changed out every 40  records"..My friend never had to change the thread out every 40 records.Last time I talked to him hes never changed anything for over a year of constant playing of records.The guy is a vinyl lover also so he plays hundreds of records a year on his VPI.
^^^^^

re: threads vs belts.

Threads are not created equal.

Kevlar thread lasts a very long time; but it was far from being the ideal, for the best sound - in my setup. The type of setup we are using is also important. I got the best results with my previous TNT when there was a greater distance (slingshot effect) between motor pulley and platter. But this also produced the most stress on the fragile thread that I prefer, and the bearing.    

This same fragile thread lasts a very long with La Platine Verdier.

Horses for courses ....

Cheers.

My opinion as the owner of an early VPI Aries table....

TNTs with an oil bath bearing are really excellent tables (early TNTs, especially with the stainless / lead / acrylic platter).  I think they are superior to some of the later VPI offerings.  Haven't heard them head-to-head with the top Classic models, but I always thought the TNT retrieved better soundstage and imaging.  Likewise the Aries Extended.  

The Graham 1.5 is a quite good arm and well-mated to TNTs.  One tweak that should be considered regardless of VPI model is to place the table on three Stillpoint cones.  Big difference for me.

Again, my opinion.  YMMV.