vpi tnt still a performer?

any thoughts on a vpi  graham 1.5 ? I have a line , am i barking up the wrong tree? or should i keep my classic.. 
128x128oleschool

Showing 3 responses by ct0517

Hi oleschool
Owned a modded VPI TNT for many years.
The VPI TNT has something really good going for it - isolation of the motor.
Add in those rubber belts and it produces a warm full bodied sound.
However introduction of the Technics SP10 MKII in my room revealed just how much the TNT’s rubber belts slurred the music. Getting rid of that old cranky PLC, and adding in a VPI SDS, took the rhythm and pace one step further, and closer to the direct drive. So that’s one good upgrade option. You can sell the PLC to recoup some of the money. You will have a hard time getting rid of that extra platter (the other option mentioned) - imo. Something to think about.

Now replacing the rubber belts with thread; that put the TNT on even footing with the SP10 MKII in the rhythm and pace dept. But the Technics SP10 could not match the TNT for its isolation properties.

The problem I found was that the TNT platter/bearing design is not meant for thread; so the thread needs to be changed out every 40 ? records going by memory. This took only a few minutes to do.

So I say keep the classic and pimp it up. Mine ended up with a pneumatic air suspension. There is a pic here.

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/4719#&gid=1&pid=28

Unfortunately the audiogon system doesn’t permit me to select just that pic. So see the pic forth row up from the bottom. Good luck

@melm

Thread on a TT is a fascinating audiophile topic on it own. The use of different threads, is similar to using different tubes - different results. I experienced and heard what thread could do with a TNT; but I also saw limitations due to its belt drive design.

Melm - It is well to spray (or soak) the thread with an adhesive.

That sounds kind of yucky to me.
In a TT design that is designed for thread, this is not necessary and it will hurt performance. As an example, with the thread designed original Granito Verdier La Platine; the thread is applied loose and you can in fact flick the thread with your finger as it turns and it does not impact the music delivery.
The remote motor, pulley, platter and bearing design all designed for use with thread.

The 40 number in the previous post was ball park number that I threw out there. I don't remember the actual number, and it was in comparison to that exact thread setup in a thread drive design TT. The message I was trying to get across is that a table designed for belts, if converted to thread, will wear out the thread faster, than a turntable that was designed for thread in the first place. From personal observations this has to do with what is happening at both ends (pulley and platter), the type of contact points, plus the extra tension and slippage that needs to be applied for the belt drive design. 

Personal thread setups do vary greatly especially when extra pulleys are introduced. So to continue a sharing of information here; a picture of your TNT table would be helpful.  

Mike @ VPI, and this is going back many years, told me he used Spider fishing line. I remember this produced "hard sounding" results in my system.

Cheers

^^^^^

re: threads vs belts.

Threads are not created equal.

Kevlar thread lasts a very long time; but it was far from being the ideal, for the best sound - in my setup. The type of setup we are using is also important. I got the best results with my previous TNT when there was a greater distance (slingshot effect) between motor pulley and platter. But this also produced the most stress on the fragile thread that I prefer, and the bearing.    

This same fragile thread lasts a very long with La Platine Verdier.

Horses for courses ....

Cheers.