Good, Affordable Horns?

I've often thought about adding a pair of horn loaded speakers, like say a pair of Klipsch La Scala, to my collection, but I've not heard enough horn loaded speakers to really know the differences, or what works and what doesn't. What are some good ones for under say $2K? What do these give up say compared to some of the larger and more expensive horn loaded speakers I've seen in AUdiogon user systems? The Jadis Eurythmie are one such pair I've seen that appear out of this world, but also must cost a small fortune.
128x128mapman
Jaybo,

The Ohms are keepers. I have Dynaudio Contour 1.3 mk II's in the room where I would consider horns.

I haven't crossed the horn bridge yet, but if I were to, the Dynaudios would probably have to go to help finance them.

The problem is I really like those little monitors and am not anxious to part with them either.

I will probably look to give a pair of Klipschorns or some other good corner horns a fresh listen first somewhere if I get a chance. The nice thing about them is that they could go in the corners of the 12X12 room . It would be nice to not have speakers taking up internal floor space in that little room.

Otherwise, I'm very happy with what I have at present.

A thing to consider with the K-horns is that the sweet spot is determined by the room dimensions when in the corners.
Shiva,

Sounds right from what I've read the Khorns have a very discrete sweet spot....it still might work for me. We'll see.....
yes a very thin piece of wood with almost no internal bracing. My buddy uses Forte II as DJ speakers, they are good for that.
I have had Chorus, KLF 30, KG 3.5, KG 5.5, Hersey, some others I cant think of. KLF-30 were my last pair, got a pair of B&W 602.5 and never looked back.

Again, I find myself baffled (pun intended) given your experience, or seeming lack thereof, with Klipsch Heritage products, on your willingness to comment on them in this context. The only Heritage product you've tried, it seems, is the Heresy. I can tell you with great assurance that the Heresy, KLF-30, and Chorus are a far cry from a Khorn or LaScala or Belle Klipsch, when set up right. I have not heard any of the other modern Klipsch speakers you have owned, nor would I care to as I haven't liked any of the post 80's stuff they've marketed to the mass market. Your comments in that respect do not surprise me. If that's the only experience I'd had with Klipsch I might feel the same way, though I think the Heresy's and Chorus are very good speakers for the money, especially with tube amps.

yes a very thin piece of wood with almost no internal bracing.

You made this comment regarding someones reference to a pair of Forte II speakers. They are 35" floorstanders that weigh in at about 56 lbs each. They're constructed of 3/4" MDF with a real wood veneer outer layer. When I've rapped on the sides of the two pairs I have owned it never occurred to me that they were made of thin wood, or were lightweight materials (the very well reviewed Epos speakers have occured to me this way, yet they are able to produce some pretty good sound in spite of it). They actually occurred to me as pretty solid speakers overall, quite well built, albeit in an economic and utilitarian design. If you look at the 85 real-world reviews at AudioReview.com, where Forte II's maintain a 4.93/5 which is nothing to dismiss, you would note many comments about their solid construction. I don't think they're the last word in that regard, but they're certainly not deserving of the comment you seem to be directing at them. That said, I'd agree that, as I said before, they're more speakers I'd recommend to someone who wanted to rock-out, and yes, they'd make good DJ speakers in that respect (Chorus are Forte's on steroids). They do really well with punchy push-pull tube amps. Typically they go on the used market for $400-600/pair. At that price, set up right, they're pretty hard to beat in many respects, and offer great bang/buck. They are not the last word in refinement, and they are not in the same league as the larger horn speakers in the Heritage line, which Mapman asked about in the first place.

Marco
Marco is right older heritage line wayyyy better. I had owned a cheapened down Heresy II. I was ticked when I found out what Klipsch had done. No comparison to the older horn speakers. You want the ones with the Alnico (gray can) magnets. You also want the AA crossovers. I own a set of 1980 Lascalla's Alnico mid's but not high. They had already started to take out the Alnico magnet tweeters. Alnico had colbalt in it (hence the c in the word the rest is Aluminium and Nickel. There was a revolt in the African country and that was it. Klipsch never the same. They got rid of the good AA (and A networks) as well and put in cheap crossovers. On that note anyone ever use Mundorf caps silver in oil for Klipsch? (older horns)