Good, Affordable Horns?

I've often thought about adding a pair of horn loaded speakers, like say a pair of Klipsch La Scala, to my collection, but I've not heard enough horn loaded speakers to really know the differences, or what works and what doesn't. What are some good ones for under say $2K? What do these give up say compared to some of the larger and more expensive horn loaded speakers I've seen in AUdiogon user systems? The Jadis Eurythmie are one such pair I've seen that appear out of this world, but also must cost a small fortune.
128x128mapman
I totally agree with Vman71 about the excellent sonic results acheived by upgrading Klipsch crossovers.
The George Wright AU-1000 preamp I own is actually the same preamp Boa2 once owned. He sold
it to a another guy. And I bought it from him.

Well, I can still say with great confidence that the LaScalas drop off severely just under 50hz. If you consider that adequate bass, then so be it, that's all you need! The LaScalas Howard owned that you mentioned were purchased from me, as was the preamp you now own (great little pre btw). Howard's an old friend of mine. He now owns a pair of Khorns. Last time I was there he was using a high powered McIntosh SS amp to push them, though I think he's gone back to SET lately. If you really want to find out how low they go, buy yourself a sound pressure meter from Radio Shack and take some measurements. That's how I came to these conclusions. I've done it in several rooms with two pairs of LaScalas and various amps and preamps, including the very one you now own. If your results are vastly different I'd like to know your secret(s). Cool beans though...I'm glad you're getting the lows you want from them - they're great speakers.

Yep, crossovers and tweeters are the first things I'd change..oh, and the zip cord that passes for internal wires.

Marco
Pi Speakers. They have quite a following and are very reasonably priced. Can be had for a steal if you buy the kit.
I've gotten some good leads from this thread. Thanks.

My concern with most of the horn loaded designs I've seen in my price range will be bass. I don't think I would be happy replacing any speaker pairs I have with anything horn loaded that did not extend down at least in to the 40hz range.

My room is only 12'X 12'. Corner horns, like a pair of used Klipschorns could work nicely and even benefit me otherwise by opening up more floor space, but I'm wondering if the room is too small for even the Khorn bass design to meet my needs?

Any thoughts on a pair of Khorns in a smaller 12X12 room?
Another thing I am afraid of is that any horn loaded design will blast me out of the room right out of the gate with my current amp, a 150 w/ch SS Musical Fidelity.

This horn thing is starting to sound more and more like not such a good idea in my case.....