Talk but not walk?

Hi Guys

This isn't meant to start a fight, but it is important to on lookers. As a qualifier, I have my own audio forum where we report on audio issues as we empirically test them. It helps us short cut on theories and developing methods of listening. We have a wide range of systems and they are all over the world adding their experiences to the mix. Some are engineers, some are artist and others are audiophiles both new and old. One question I am almost always asked while I am visiting other forums, from some of my members and also members of the forum I am visiting is, why do so many HEA hobbyist talk theory without any, or very limited, empirical testing or experience?

I have been around empirical testing labs since I was a kid, and one thing that is certain is, you can always tell if someone is talking without walking. Right now on this forum there are easily 20 threads going on where folks are talking theory and there is absolutely no doubt to any of us who have actually done the testing needed, that the guy talking has never done the actual empirical testing themselves. I've seen this happen with HEA reviewers and designers and a ton of hobbyist. My question is this, why?

You would think that this hobby would be about listening and experience, so why are there so many myths created and why, in this hobby in particular, do people claim they know something without ever experimenting or being part of a team of empirical science folks. It's not that hard to setup a real empirical testing ground, so why don't we see this happen?

I'm not asking for peoples credentials, and I'm not asking to be trolled, I'm simply asking why talk and not walk? In many ways HEA is on pause while the rest of audio innovation is moving forward. I'm also not asking you guys to defend HEA, we've all heard it been there done it. What I'm asking is a very simple question in a hobby that is suppose to be based on "doing", why fake it?

thanks, be polite

Michael Green

www.michaelgreenaudio.net

128x128michaelgreenaudio
Ok so let me try something that may actually be construed as a contribution.

Unless you are lucky enough to live on your own with no housely or wifely constraints on how your stereo is laid out, a lot of what MG talks about is just not practical. In addition I am not about to add potential fire hazards into my home! Now I do not dispute some of these tricks may have a result but will never happen in my house.
I did hear from a member I respect that removing the cover to his 2170 did result in an improvement and again I do not dispute that occurrence. However with a pack of highly inquisitive Savannah cats roaming the house an open cover is a recipe for one to decide its open warfare on the innards!

Now moving on to blocks of wood et al and impact on sound, yes I will go ing with that too, but.....
How do I know that the new changed sounds are even close to what the artists or engineers aimed for? What if all these changes are taking the sq to areas that were never envisioned or intended?
The question is where would you stop? What is the goal? How far do you think is needed to "walk the walk"?

Just some thoughts.....
Agreed in that no way many could have rooms as shown on Tuneland. I did post on Tuneland that I could not add all those platforms and wood pieces around my room. That may be why I am not getting any help there.  Those are pretty strange looking spaces that will not accommodate others in the same space.  I bet the rooms and music sounds very good.  
Just because it looks strange is no reason to assume it will sound good.
Maybe it will sound strange.
The Wizard of Oz was no wizard at all.
Gandolf on the other hand......
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7M4frMcLFUI/VMe6K2zm-LI/AAAAAAAAALo/THJrf1gS57M/s1600/Hobbit%2Bgandalf.JPG
Is walking wizardry?
You can not (rpt not) tell anything about the sound from a picture. You CAN tell if the person is a neat freak, a slob or an interior decorator, or if his wife is uh, you know, an issue. A neat organized room is no indication of a good sounding system, it’s no indication of how the system sounds. It’s pretty to think so, though. 🌸  It’s like walking into a room at CES or wherever. No matter what the room looks like OR what speakers or electronics or cables are in the room you won’t know what the system sounds like until they play something.

On the other hand, if you spot a bunch of tiny little bowls on the walls, a Mpingo disc here and there, maybe some Corner Tunes, suspended cables, an iso stand and some large crystals placed discretely around the room....

Sorry to take up everyone’s time but we must yet again rebut the falsehoods and attacks by one Geoffrey C Kait.

Ah, the pupil uses the teacher’s thread to rant and rave and promote his rather backward ideas at every opportunity. Ooops, I hope I’m not a baiter.

Actually we were addressing the challenges and ramblings on isolation and defending our own from the repetitive Geoffrey C Kait. In our opinion, backward ideas are more defined as selling the public a $39 bag of rocks… $159 for the extra big bag!

Why would the dudes from Star Sound go to Tuneland to stalk MG since they’re doing an excellent job stalking him right here, you know, where their ranting and raving and self promotion has a much wider audience?

Here I find myself replying to the man with well over 10.000 posts where the overwhelming majority involve personality attacks as witnessed and reputed by the masses as a crime of harassing somebody with persistent, inappropriate, and unwanted attention hence the actual definition of a stalker - being Mr. Geoffrey C Kait.

Example: Read GK posts on this thread...or any other for that matter!

Regards to manufacturer’s participation:

We have complained in writing to management requesting that manufacturers should not be permitted to initiate posts on this forum as the results have become quite obvious and defined. This thread was initiated as a marketing strategy and advertising campaign gone awry.

Our efforts failed to have new rules implemented therefore we too decided to share in the excitement, separate the advertising fracas from reality and will defend when challenged or personally insulted. Who wouldn’t? Certainly not the duper with over 10,000 posts?

Why when Star Sound participates in any thread whatsoever, Geoff Kait is the next immediate response tossing in the first grenade? Check it out as this happens every single time. Geoff you are boring us to death with repetitiveness with exception to your newfound adornment to the Walker in chief.

Example from recent activity:

>>>>Send in the 🍑🤡 Hey, whatever became of your “seismologist,” Bobby? My guess is she ran as fast as her little legs would carry her. 🏃‍♀️Seismic vibration has been discussed here many times. And still you didn’t learn anything,

In our defense, she has far surpassed anything you, Geoffrey C Kait have ever accomplished in your entire lifespan - period.

She continues to define and advance Live-Vibe Technology™ and we are extremely humbled by her knowledge, time devotion and willingness to work with us.

As stated many times previously Geoffrey; we too were once committed to the camp of isolation. We even purchased your springs for comparisons but never the rocks as we have real issues concerning those technical devices.

We constructed racking made from exotic woods, supplied products to the OP improving his rack design function, used air bladders, damped chassis inside and out, built Champion IASCA car audio systems, designed and built over 1,000 custom subwoofer systems by our close friend and member, the late Jay Thomas.

You name it Geoffrey and we probably designed it or built it and ‘sold’ it. We learned a lot about sound over time while you were still in college before your employment with NASA or so claimed.

What did you accomplish in sound besides that rack built back in 2000 weighing in at over one hundred pounds, but limited to supporting a twenty pound CD player of which you sold how many? Two? Come on Geoffrey here is your chance… the bait is on the hook… tell everyone what makes you so accomplished that you can constantly insult your peers or better yet insult those believed to be inferior to yourself consisting of the world’s entire population as we see it.

We await your self-serving reply.

Robert

PS: That picture you have leading to your website with those largest of horn speakers

https://www.google.com/search?q=machina+dynamica&rlz=1C1TSNF_enUS527US550&oq=mac&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i57j0l3j69i60.4524j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

John the owner of this system is a client of Star Sound. You should hear his system now and imagine how those horns will bloom with Rhythm Platforms™ supporting them? We didn’t see any springs in his system upon our arrival or noticed any of your other products involvement or did you just post that picture from Stereophile archives (with permission we hope) in order to attract people to your site and/or help build up your image?

Do you know John?