What is the most important component in your system.

To me it is my ARC Ref 6 preamp. I have used a few other preamps, ML38s , ARC Ref 5se,  with my current system and none has taking me closer to music then my ARC Ref 6 preamp. Years ago I always thought it was my B&W 800 Matrix speakers and then my Krell FBB amp. But found out that to get the best sound from my 800s it is a preamp..Years ago i never knew how important a good preamp was in reproducing music. And sure everything adds up ,like interconnects , power cables , speaker cables, platforms and all those tweaks that we use and try. Now i not saying that i was never happy with my 800s and Krell or even my ML 38s. But adding my current preamp really makes my other components bring out their best. 
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman
In my estimation speakers should be a clear unveiled window to the upstream components, granted you want a pair that meet your hearing needs but the truth is the best pair of speakers in the world for anyone person can only pass on the attributes or short comings of the components before them. Trash in trash out.
My position re. ’most important’ is further upstream. Power, power supplies, power conditioners and the supplying cables, connectors etc.

Reaffirmed once again (this past weekend) by a different approach: with an on the grid vs. an off the grid demonstration. Quite something. Immediately and easily heard and distinguishable with performance/SQ improvements across the board. Grid vs. Solar panel > Battery > Inverter, etc.

A shout out to Richard Gray for the fantastic and illustrative demo.
My cables !!! - without them nothing would work :-)

Seriously - my cables are still the most important component.
- they allow the components to work as designed
- extract EVERY ounce of performance from each component
- they are responsible for the superb imaging I enjoy
- they are responsible for the incredibly fast dynamics
- they are responsible for the crystal clear sound

Yes - I'm "one of those guys"

I started thinking of them as a "component" about 2 years ago after some serious auditioning.

Regards - Steve
I also predict all the ’links’ will be highlighted as ’most important’ by each member posting, which is another way of saying that it’s all important and that everything matters.
Post removed