Vandersteen Sub woofers v Rythmik Subs

I really love the idea of the Vandersteen Subs where they are connected with the mains via extra speaker cable off right and left channels off the main amplifier, which is supposed to provide better bass transition from the mains while keeping the signature from the main amplifier. My question is with Vandersteen coming out with the SUB THREE and the price going significantly higher, I was wondering if there are other subs for less that you could integrate in the same way. (Most subs seem to rely on the line level input which is just a sub-woofer RCA going from the pre-amp to the amp on the sub). Can this same Vandersteen set-up be achieved with other subs?
I picked Rythmik since they are known (in the home theater community anyway) for being one of the best bang for the buck subs and the most "musical" of the bunch. (between Hsu, SVS, PSA).
And could I possibly achieve even greater sub-woofer nirvana since I could get an 18" for around $1500? Vandies only have 3 eight inchers.

I am a Vandersteen fanboy and I would like to support RV whenever I can, but don’t know much about my other sub-woofer options so looking for some feedback. Doesn’t even have to be related to Rythmik necessarily. If you know of other subs that can integrate the same way I want to know about it!

Thanks
bstatmeister
I believe that speakers like the 1ci's, 2ce sig. II's are what really keep Vandersteen in business. But like all designers (and RV is no exception) like to see what they can accomplish with no price constraints. That dream, that pursuit, of what can be possible within the scope of their expertise. And yes, they can justify this thinking with the "trickle down effect" to their more affordable products. This has been evident thru the years with the steady improvement of his core products like the models 1, 2, and 3's. Making great highend speakers like the Treo Ct and the Quattro Wood Ct have brought a lot of what goes into the Ultra high end speakers he makes to a more affordable whelm of gear.
In case it wasn't yet mentioned, the Sub 9 is not Vandy's only subwoofer.  The 3W series is replacing the 2W series.  While not inexpensive, it is much less expensive than the 9 Sub.  The 9 is intended to augment the Model 7, for the most part, and is priced accordingly.
@hifiman5 
Only a proselyte would believe that it is possible for a dumb amplifier to change characteristics based on it's driving source. If that were possible, changing any of the 'perfect' electronics in our systems would hopelessly dependent on its upstream device.

In the Vandersteen 2ce II, the impedance doubles from 4Ω to 8Ω between 35 and 75Hz, dropping to a nominal 6Ω @ 200Hz.

The output of a tube amp transformer will be a non-linear voltage driving such a load  as can been see on any Stereophile tube amp review.

The Vandersteen sub amp is a voltage driven device, as are most amps. When the voltage rises the output of the sub will also rise. What results is a doubling of the bass output @ 35Hz vs 75Hz. This would not occur with a tube amp driving a loudspeaker.

Another issue I never considered a good design was the passive XO with limited adjustment. In all but a limited number of amp input impedances, the frequency will be sub optimum possibly varying by as much as half an octave. It's been my experience that as little as 10Hz can have a significant effect when tuning a sub into room. A fixed frequency sub may work well in the lab, but may not elsewhere.

ALL MANUFACTURERS MAKE CLAIMS. As consumers, it our task to separate the buckwheat from the b...s...

@mr_m  Well said!  I recently had my McCormack DNA-1 upgraded by Steve McC at SMc Audio.  Upon discussing the prospects of upgrading/rebuilding my amp, he told me that some well-heeled clients afforded him the opportunity to design some ultra amps. He was able to take some of what he learned designing those amps and trickle them down to his SMc modifications and that my amp. would benefit from such. Exactly the same mentality as RV who loves to push the limits with the Model 7s and then bring some of what he learns down to the lower end of the line.  I agree with your assertion that the Model 1, 2, 3 designs are the bread and butter of his company as all of those speakers deliver great sound for the price and accommodate to diverse listening tastes and listening spaces.  For those who are ready to move up the line for an even more refined listening experience the speakers are there to be had.
@ieales  I guess you straightened Mr. Vandersteen and I out.  Thank God someone did!😯