Does JBL get a bad rap?

For years, all one heard regarding almost any JBL product, especially vintage consumer grade products was that they were all boom(bass) and sizzle( highs). I feel this is an unfair generalization. Surprisingly, I find much of their budget minded gear(80s-90s) actually soft in the treble and very non-fatiguing(titanium laminate tweeters). I also have experienced the L100T and found them fairly well balanced and nuetral. The midrange does lack some realism magic especially on vocals but so do other highly touted speakers. In short, I am a little late to the game in regards to the JBL, but as a mainstream maker I am impressed. And that doesn't even take into account their 4xxx studio monitors which are highly regarded. Back me up jbl fans!
128x128phasecorrect
Yeah, those 4365s sure are killers. I wish they were available here in the US. They're one of the best speakers that JBL makes, imo!
About 15 years ago I worked at a national retailer where they had a large JBL equipped "media room" built to view and listen to ads. To me the whole affair was ear bleeding and shrill but I'll admit that the electronics could have been totally or partially to blame.

Some of us, including myself, have somewhat lukewarm perceptions of JBL from times past. Many of my friends and relatives owned JBL's over the years and I never considered them to be outstanding. Most of those systems were not outstanding and the speakers were probably perceived the same way. Maybe this is where the "bad rap" comes from?

I will admit that I have not heard any of their recent offerings. If I did, I just might change my opinion of them.

Changing these attitudes and perceptions may be one of JBL's major marketing challenges.
Hi Rja, The cost no object line as I call it from JBL is at some of the best brick and mortar shops across the country, of course, I rather you go and listen to the top flagship Everest DD-67000 speakers first to get your interest kicking, then work your way down the model line to the more affordable models with in the same model line, as you can read from Dave_72's post above, Dave list the entire line of the speciality JBL speakers, a couple of models are new as of last year, cheers.
Sometimes it does. I would not discount the line as a good option for many though.
"Most of those systems were not outstanding and the speakers were probably perceived the same way. Maybe this is where the "bad rap" comes from? "

I suspect that in many cases bad results with JBL speakers are not necessarily the speaker's fault, more what was done with them.

I was never a huge JBL fan back in the 70's when we carried them at the Tech Hifi I worked at for a time back in college, but I would like a chance to try them again with what is now available more readily and what I know now that I did not back then.