Why is Oppo stopping products.

Just went to their website and they are no longer making new products. 
kw6
@nonoise 
i Second the thanks for that article.
I bought a 203 the day Oppo made their announcement and moved my 105 from my two channel system to my HT, where it replaced multiple machines.
     I was surprised and disappointed by the Oppo news.  I was thinking of updating my 65" Panasonic 1080p plasma to an LG 65" OLED model since the price has dropped to below $1,500 at an online retailer (TVSuperstore.com I think).  
     I was planning on updating my current Oppo 105 to the $1,400 4K Oppo 205 at the same time but noticed many retailers were low or out of stock on the 205.  I just thought I'd need to wait for resupplies, not realizing the shortage was a precursor of Oppo dropping out of the market and ceasing production. However, nonoise's linked article on 'Universal Disk Players' explaining Oppo's likely reasoning for ceasing production makes a lot of sense to me. 
     You never know, Oppo may decide to participate again in the market with a player based on future technological advancements that cannot currently be predicted.  I'd likely not hesitate to buy one based on my experiences with the Oppo 105 and their well deserved brand reputation for excellence.   
     I've become a big fan of Oppo since buying the 105 a few years ago.  I have taken advantage of many of the 105's varied and outstanding capabilities: Bluray/SACD/CD/DVD-A player, DAC, streaming music and hi-res computer audio player, high-quality preamp, Netflix streamer/player and as a 5.1 surround sound processor. 

Oppo's decision has actually forced me to take a step back and access my current combination 2-ch audio and ht system.  I realized I'm very pleased with the performance levels of both for at least several more years.  My plasma and 105, although only providing 1080p resolution,  are in like-new condition and are functioning flawlessly for my current needs. 
     Just like most of us, however, I'm not immune from the lure of the latest technology or just change itself and obtaining something new that can be enjoyed daily. 
     I know OLED is very good and 4K is superior to 1080p but I'm less sure the difference will be clearly visible to me from my viewing position about 12-14 feet away. Now, the HDR10  and Dolby Vision probably are clearly improvements. 
     Perhaps I'm just getting older and wiser; I believe I'm getting wiser but I'm absolutely certain I'm getting older.  So, I'm going to rationalize and choose to believe that Oppo has done me a favor by no longer offering the 205.  I'll try and resist the silly upgrade urges for now and just await more meaningful upgrade options to come as technology marches forward. 

Tim 
I moved from a Panasonic Plasma (last production model) to an LG OLED.  Let me assure you, you will notice a difference.  I thought the Blacks on the Plasma were good.  The blacks on the OLED are so inky good, they put a LED on it to let you know when the set is off!
Hi prpixel,

I bought my last generation Panasonic VT60 series plasma knowing they were ceasing production of plasmas due to the costs of 4K upgrades likely pricing any of their prospective new model 4K hdtvs out of the market.  It still puts a smile on my face every time I turn it on.
      I've viewed the LG 65" B7 4K OLED at a local A/V shop and completely agree with you about the inky blacks that, along with the new HDR10 and Dolby vision for more vivid colors, produces excellent contrast for a truly stunning picture quality; undoubtedly the best picture I've ever seen.
     I know the LG OLD would put a smile on my face every day, too, especially at $1,350.  Now you've done it, made me reconsider my decision and got me thinking of moving the Panasonic to my bedroom.  Cut it out!
     The only thing holding me back now is the issues caused by pairing the 4K LG with my 1080p Oppo 105.  I'd need to find a reasonably priced 205 since I need the hi-res DAC, 5.1 surround processing and 4K content playback the Oppo provides.
     The Oppo's become such an integral part of my AV system that I now can't envision doing without one and using a 'standard' 4K player.

You've got me waffling,
  Tim

Its sad, I was hoping to buy a new OPPO and put my 103 in another room.....