Is a GREAT turntable under $2000 possible???

Howdy folks-

I’m really enjoying my current set up and return to 2.1 channel listening and Home Theater. Here’s what I’ve got:

-Mc402 Amp
-Anthem Mrx 520
-Oppo 103 Bdp with Scott Nixon tube dac
-Mac Mini with a Scott Nixon Usb tube dac
-Audience and Wireworld cables
-Tekton Electron speakers

I’d like to introduce vinyl to my evening listening pleasure. Any recommendations for a turntable (including arm, cartridge, etc) under $2000? Is this a reasonable figure? I have no clue when it comes to turntables so any advice given is surely appreciated.

Brent

128x128knollbrent

just to comment on noromance

"$2k? Maybe not off the shelf but you can certainly do what I did. Source a clean Garrard 401 for about $800. Make or buy a layered birch ply plinth and add a 12" Jelco 750 arm for $550. Optionally add an Audiosilente idler for $100. Add brass feet and sit table on solid level support and you will have a great table."

I just did this last year and good luck finding a good Garrard 401 for under $2000.

I got a my  Garrard 301 and Jelco 12incher (new) and had a plinth made total cost just over $4k so I think under $2k is not going to happen unless you get really lucky finding a good Garrard Table to start with that doesn't need repair or upgrading-overhaul. Most Garrard tables now are in the $1500-3000 depending on the condition.

Now I am totally happy with the table and would recommend it to anyone.

hi brent, hope things are sounding great!
just a few comments about some of your questions-
some LPs can sound crackly even after being cleaned- but very few. if you have lots of LPs that sound noisy something in the cartridge setup might be off- possibly VTA too high?  
groove glide- don’t have a need for it.
i use this to quickly clean the LP before setting the tonearm down-
https://www.lpgear.com/product/AT6012.html

it’s the best brushing device I have ever used and tried them all. takes a little work but it does remove all dust etc. prior to a spin. i just rotate the LP by hand while using the brush.

also i use this cleaner ~ once a week or so for the stylus- some gunk just cannot be removed with the brush alone. a bottle of this has lasted 2 years and it’s still nearly full!

peace and happy listening!
https://www.lpgear.com/product/AT0607.html
Listening update!

Holy Moly it sounds amazing! The amount of information pressed into vinyl is ridiculous. The music is now full, detailed, rich, inviting. Adventurous...Enjoy just throwing on a record and listening from beginning to end. It's very calming.

My system's been together now for a month, time for everything including the new Tekton Electrons to burn in. The Electrons are sounding sweet btw.  

Ok, so here's the KICKER. I decided for giggles sake to pull my Piega C10 Ltds out of the closet and see how they'd perform in what I considered too small of a room. WOW! I'd forgotten how amazing that speaker is. They've been in storage for 10 years, just waiting patiently. 

They have no problem handling this little room and they're decently big. If you don't know about these speakers and you're bored, look em up. Piega in general is great but the C10 Ltds are bad mamma jammas. 

So for the first time too, the Piegas are Arc'd through my Anthem 520. Room is super tight now. I'll need to soften it a little with some treatments, but not much. AND they get to sing the praises of Vinyl. I never in a million years thought  vinyl could sound so good. 

Yup, that's it for now. A little treatment here and there with room and we're good to go. 

That's the update!