Electrostatic Speakers

Hello Audiogon! Been around the forum scene for quite a while, and just joined this forum and thought I offer my thoughts on some equipment I just bought: speakers and the cables that came with it.

I couldn’t afford brand new speakers, and thought I’d try a different type speaker as opposed to my B&W 805 Diamond speakers. My dealer has loaned me Marten Logan Quest Z electrostatic speakers, as well as TARA Labs “The One” cables for this purpose. Right away I could hear a difference in sounds between the B&W and The ML. My B&W definitely have more punch to them, and the bass is quite remarkable. (this works great when I’m listening to my classic rock collection) What I found interesting was the way the ML speakers had a sound that seemed to encompass the whole room. Like a wall of sound (courtesy of Phil Spector) If you’ve never heard a good pair of electrostatic speakers, then I’d urge you to try and listen to some if you can. Really a whole new world out there. The cables that my dealer loaned me where TARA Labs. Though I’ve heard of them before, I haven’t really seen any advertising in any magazines showing off new models etc. I saw them in Stereophile Recommended components issues. I’ve always used Wireworld cables in my system before and do love them. I will say that I immediately heard a difference when I put the TARA Labs cables in my system. The high frequencies were insane to say the least. As a matter of fact, the Marten Logans with those cables really expanded when I put Dark side of the moon on (180gm vinyl) Anyone out there have any experience with electrostatic speakers?

-Brian J.
abcaudio
"The issue I find with ML is they are disjointed in the bass as they transition to the bass driver - it sounds like a system with a subwoofer."

Having personally owned probably 20 different Martin Logan models, that was somewhat true of the older models, although it never bothered me. With the new Vojtko crossovers, this really isn't a problem anymore. These new models are as seamless as any other speaker out there...IMHO anyway.

I have had various electrostatic speakers since the late 1980s. I have owned Martin Logan SL3s since 1998. The SL3s are one of my favorite ML speakers. I have tried some newer MLs including the Accent but I did not feel they were as good. I have not heard the Quest Z, I have heard the request. The SL3s blend the panels with the bass much better than most.

Setup is very important with panel speakers. They need to be away from the walls to sound there best.

You don't mention the rest of your equipment such as the amp you are using. Martin Logan speakers really benefit from high quality electronics.
No matter how many times I tried to listen to electrostats or pannels, they always sounded outside and far away of actual reality at any price point. They fill up listening room very well and have an incredible imaging abilities, but at great sacrifice of tonal balance and deapth so that most of vocals would sound unrecognizably thin to the point of Leonard Cohen with pitch of Bob Dylan. Headphones are great tho.
My experience with ESLs is that they can be really seamless and fast, with great tonal balance and excellent soundstage width and depth.

IMO the state of the art in ESLs are the Sound Labs. A recent change in their electronics has made them much easier to drive. They are also moderate impedance (which was the case with all ESLs in the old days) such that they are easily driven with tube amps, although you do need some power to really make them go. However 200 watts in a tube amp is enough for all but the biggest rooms. If you run solid state, you may need about 600 watts to do the same work, on account of the fact that the impedance curve allows a 200 watt tube amp to make about the same amount of power as a 600 watt transistor amp.

The Sound Lab is one of the few that will go down to 20Hz and shake the walls.
Take a look at OHM Walsh speakers for a unique dynamic design and means of operation (wave bending).

I liked various dynamic speaker models and owned Maggies prior. I wanted Quad ES-like sound with bigger dynamics and a tad more meat on the bones for half the cost or less. That's pretty much what I got with the newer, third generation OHM Walshes. Note that I owned original first generation models prior and never thought those to be up to snuff in terms of detail and clarity compared to good ES speakers, but that changed with the third gen series 3 models. Current models are one design revision newer, advertised as evolutionary not revolutionary. I've never heard the gen 2 series 2 models, but understand those to be somewhere between the originals and series 3.