Thiel Owners

Guys-

I just scored a sweet pair of CS 2.4SE loudspeakers. Anyone else currently or previously owned this model?
Owners of the CS 2.4 or CS 2.7 are free to chime in as well. Thiel are excellent w/ both tubed or solid-state gear!

Keep me posted & Happy Listening!
jafant
hi arniespin,  i have the SHO s/5 and it is a killer sub.  the REL guy was here last week for a demo and said it was the sweet spot of their audio oriented subs.  i will check my settings later but have them much higher than you do. 

Good to see you - arniespin

aside from the 3.5 model, I venture to say the many of you guys own and support the CS 3.7 loudspeaker as a runner-up. What other gear is in your system? I concur that any REL sub is very easy to integrate into one's system.

Happy Listening!

wayneuncle

the Bryston 3B-ST is still a fine amp indeed. I have heard that model a few times w/ an ARC tubed pre-amp. Nice combination.

Happy Listening!

Hi everyone--long time reader but never posted. Have loved the Thiel sound ever since I got my CS0.5s back in 1996 which was all I could afford back then.  Gone through several generations from the 0.5 to 1.5 to 2.4 and ended up with a beautiful pair of Morado 2.7s.  After mating them with a pair of Bryston 28B-SST2s, I was in heaven and I couldn't be happier, but in the back of my mind I've always wondered if the 3.7s should be my end game. (That's partly the reason I got the Brystons--they're certainly overkill for the 2.7s, but I've heard they are a fantastic match for the 3.7s.).  That's when I saw Ronkent's ad selling his 2.7s, and I exchanged emails with him re: his thoughts between those and the 3.7s.  He then introduced me to this discussion, and I was blown away!

Over the last few days, I've been reading everyone's comments and not only have I learned so much from this group, especially from Tom (thank you), I was also pleasantly surprised that there is still a loyal following to what I guess I should call the "classic phase-coherent Thiel sound" (as opposed to the current, modern Thiel Audio sound).

Awesome discussion regarding the upgrading path.  Didn't think this was an option until now!  Looks like the 2.7s are last on the list, which is fine because I don't usually like to mess with anything unless I think there is a problem...or unless there is something better, whether it's measurable or even if it's just perceived to be better.  But alas, that's the audiophile's curse, is it not?  To tinker, mess around and upgrade in an endless search for better sound.

That said, I'm guilty as charged, with having this curse!  Heaven knows, if I had put the money I spent on audio equipment over the last 2 decades into Apple, I would be able to retire now, hahaha!  Still, this endeavor makes life interesting.  Again, thank you everyone for contributing to this discussion re: Thiels.  Keep it coming!

P.S. Prof, have you decided to sell your 3.7s or trade them in for another pair of speakers? Last I can recall you were still deciding. Let me know if you end up going with the former route--I may be interested in those 3.7s.
hi Batman,   good to hear from you.   glad my  response got you into this group.   i have learned so much from reading all this and it is great to discuss our wonderful speakers with fellow Thiel lovers.   I use the BHK electronics from PS Audio and could not be happier.  They are a great product at a very fair price.  

hi Arnie,   i checked my settings on my REL  S5 and they are high compared to yours but i am always "fiddling" with them.  I think you might want to raise your crossover setting as that does seem low to me.  
i have mine at about 9:30 for the crossover and about 1:00 for the level.  I had set them originally for the 2.7's and probably need to adjust down a bit.