Thumbs up for ultrasonic record cleaning

My Cleaner Vinyl ultrasonic record cleaner arrived today and it’s impressive.

Everything I’d read indicated that ultrasonic was the way to go, and now I count myself among the believers. Everything is better - records are quieter, less ticks and pops, more detail etc.

All my records had been previously cleaned with a vacuum record cleaner and were well cared for. Nonetheless, the difference is obvious and overwhelmingly positive.

Phil
phil0618
Yea, I saw that 120kHz and did a double take but you would hope they know what they are doing....
They explain the 120kHz on their web site.

As I remember, it's something about the 120kHz making the process more amenable to using simple water and keeping it the right temperature.  They use more power than other machines to approach the cleaning action of the lower frequency machines. 
The higher the frequency, the smaller the bubbles, hence the better to clean small spaces and crevasses.

One of our big problems with vinyl is grease (fingerprints, etc.). It's hard to see plain water being very effective at removing that, irrespective of frequency. I use a lab grade detergent (Versaclean from Fisher Scientific) for surfactant, and  chemistry at 45C.

But this requires a rinse or three.

Well, I put my money where my laziness is...and ordered the upcoming Degritter Ultrasonic RCM!

Interacting with the folks at Degritter (as well as reading beta user reports) has given me confidence in their product and in their character, so it seems like worthwhile gamble. If it works as advertised it would be the perfect record cleaner for me.

It’s supposed to ship in September. Whenever it arrives, I’ll let people know my impressions.

More info here, with some demos:

http://degritter.com/

FYI: Just a couple days left to get in on the first batch.