Avalon Indra vs Sonus Faber Cremona M

I have just begun assembling my audio system. I bought a Shindo Monbrison and Shindo Montrachet preamp/amp combo and am using the new Sonus Faber Cremona M. I have rediscovered analog and prefer it to CD/digital for now. I was looking to upgrade my inexpensive turntable, but my dealer thinks that changing the speakers might be better. He suggests the new Avalon Indras.

Any thoughts

Bobby
dbjain
I agree that the Cremona M is faster and more transparent than the previous version; ? maybe less euphonic. I kind of liked the old one because of its euphony.

But, I chose the Indras over the Sonus Faber's. In Canada, the price difference is not as high as it is in Europe, and the Indras are in another league over the Sonus'.

I agree with Samuel. I too have listened to about the same speakers and they are not the same.
If Avalon could just make them a full range speaker the Indra would be awesome speaker. I just have a hard time buying a speaker for over $20,000 that does not go below 30 with some good output. Even the Eidolon just need more bass output to compete with Watt Puppy 7, vandersteen 5a and others in the same price class. They sound very much like Kharma 3.2FE to me but with a tad more bass. With a good sub the Indra's would be a keeper. I sold my Eidolon for a pair of Aerial 20T and then I realized how much bass I was really missing. With the Eidolon I was listening to music that suited the speakers not music that I wanted to listen too. If that makes sense.

But the Indra should not be compared to Cremona M since they are twice the price.

The other thing that needs to be noted is that any Avalon needs more room behind the speaker to get this sound then any other speaker I have had. In most homes it's not practical. I needed about 7 feet behind the speaker to get the 3d to kick in. That was right in the middle of the room. With my Watt Puppy 7 and Aerial 20t I needed only 3 feet to get the same 3d sound.
Just some non information
Avalon Indra 25.000 euro, $40.000
Sonus Faber Cremona M 7.800euro, $12.500

With price differences like that I have the Avalon are better. these are the price I could find in the Netherlands. Hw much do they cost in the US?
Hi Mtdking

If Avalon could just make them a full range speaker the Indra would be awesome speaker.

Yeah it exists, it is the Isis ;)

Even the Eidolon just need more bass output to compete with Watt Puppy 7

I don't agree with you on this point

The wp8 are not neutral and exagerated the low mid ; these speakers have not very deep bass.

Same thing in the upper bass with the Aerial 20T that have +5dB on the 60/80hz

In fact very few speakers reach 20/30 Hz

But I agree that the Indra lacks a little bit of bass

I chose the indra because you can add a sub, in comparison to the other speaker at whom you can't add clarity, naturalnees and imaging

But i can understand that somme people want hudge bass for a $20 000 speakers.

But the Indra should not be compared to Cremona M since they are twice the price.

Even compared to sonus stradivari (40 000$) , the indra is way better to my taste.

I needed about 7 feet behind the speaker to get the 3d to kick in

You are right Avalon speakers needs space, but their imagins is quite unique (!)

Maybe 7 feet is a little bit exagerated :-^

-------
For starters I don't audition speakers in dealer rooms. There is no way you can tell what a speaker sounds like in different rooms. To say that one speaker sounds better than another in different rooms on different gear is ridiculous.

My room had a dip at 65hz and a bump at 40hrz so speakers will sound different my room compared to your room.

The other thing is a speaker that cuts off around 38hz but goes down to 28hz and has low output or doesn't move much air is less likely to affect the lower midrange. If you add a sub to your Andra listen to what it will do to the midrange. That is what all full range speakers have to tackle. Not easy.

I get -3db 24hz in my room with the Watt puppy 7. With the Eidolon I got -6db at 32hz.