Avalon Indra vs Sonus Faber Cremona M

I have just begun assembling my audio system. I bought a Shindo Monbrison and Shindo Montrachet preamp/amp combo and am using the new Sonus Faber Cremona M. I have rediscovered analog and prefer it to CD/digital for now. I was looking to upgrade my inexpensive turntable, but my dealer thinks that changing the speakers might be better. He suggests the new Avalon Indras.

Any thoughts

Bobby
dbjain
Just some non information
Avalon Indra 25.000 euro, $40.000
Sonus Faber Cremona M 7.800euro, $12.500

With price differences like that I have the Avalon are better. these are the price I could find in the Netherlands. Hw much do they cost in the US?
Hi Mtdking

If Avalon could just make them a full range speaker the Indra would be awesome speaker.

Yeah it exists, it is the Isis ;)

Even the Eidolon just need more bass output to compete with Watt Puppy 7

I don't agree with you on this point

The wp8 are not neutral and exagerated the low mid ; these speakers have not very deep bass.

Same thing in the upper bass with the Aerial 20T that have +5dB on the 60/80hz

In fact very few speakers reach 20/30 Hz

But I agree that the Indra lacks a little bit of bass

I chose the indra because you can add a sub, in comparison to the other speaker at whom you can't add clarity, naturalnees and imaging

But i can understand that somme people want hudge bass for a $20 000 speakers.

But the Indra should not be compared to Cremona M since they are twice the price.

Even compared to sonus stradivari (40 000$) , the indra is way better to my taste.

I needed about 7 feet behind the speaker to get the 3d to kick in

You are right Avalon speakers needs space, but their imagins is quite unique (!)

Maybe 7 feet is a little bit exagerated :-^

-------
For starters I don't audition speakers in dealer rooms. There is no way you can tell what a speaker sounds like in different rooms. To say that one speaker sounds better than another in different rooms on different gear is ridiculous.

My room had a dip at 65hz and a bump at 40hrz so speakers will sound different my room compared to your room.

The other thing is a speaker that cuts off around 38hz but goes down to 28hz and has low output or doesn't move much air is less likely to affect the lower midrange. If you add a sub to your Andra listen to what it will do to the midrange. That is what all full range speakers have to tackle. Not easy.

I get -3db 24hz in my room with the Watt puppy 7. With the Eidolon I got -6db at 32hz.

Coming back to the comparison of Cremona M to Indra, it would be much more fair to compare the Italian with the Avalon Ascendant, which is more or less in the same price range (the Avalon still costs more than the Sonus Faber in Holland). Which speaker would come out on top then? Any one who compared the two?
For starters I don't audition speakers in dealer rooms. There is no way you can tell what a speaker sounds like in different rooms. To say that one speaker sounds better than another in different rooms on different gear is ridiculous.

I completely agree with you.

I had the chance to compare the WP8, Avalon Indra, Eidolon and Isis in the same room with the same equipment behind.

My room had a dip at 65hz and a bump at 40hrz so speakers will sound different my room compared to your room.

The other thing is a speaker that cuts off around 38hz but goes down to 28hz and has low output or doesn't move much air is less likely to affect the lower midrange. If you add a sub to your Andra listen to what it will do to the midrange. That is what all full range speakers have to tackle. Not easy.

I get -3db 24hz in my room with the Watt puppy 7. With the Eidolon I got -6db at 32hz.

Ok with the room effect you go down to 28hz, but i'm sure that the 70/100Hz is far to exagereted with that deep bass.

The eidolon is far more neutral so maybe it doesn't go that deep , but the bass and midbass that the avalon produce is (in my opinion) far better in term of quality

We always read in review that the bass region on WP8 is terrific, i don't think so

For me the midbass region is always the same and not enough articulate contrary to the mid bass of an indra for example

Size does matter to a certain point ;) Quality of bass is the key for me, but for movies WP8 's bass is great and go deeper.