Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Hi all. So sorry for the slow going. Work has been nuts. Anyone in Munich who can give us an update? I really wanna go next year!!!

I got a great phone call from the Lampizator importer thanks to our resident Lampy fan; thank you sir!!!

A gen 6 Big 7 is en route to me and when he picks up the Big 7 he will bring a Pacific to compare to my Davinci 2. I can’t wait !!!

Snopro - no, I don’t know the Terminator. Is it available in the US. Can you provide a website?

im still working diligently on the footer/rack project. I’ll do another video shortly to update everyone on that.

Thanks for your patience and interest!!
Thanks for the update Matt.  Can't wait to hear bout the Lamy's.  This will be very cool as you are now open to audition the tubes.  
Here’s the website, vinshineaudio.com. 

6moons gave it a blue moon award stating that it was in the same league as the Aqua Formula. It is much cheaper, less than half the price!
Snopro, you are not correct on the Forumla vs the Terminator.

The Formula was recently updated with new technology and Sarjan was running the original Formula. 

When Six Moons reviewed the Terminator vs the Formula this was the original Optologic board and not the newer XHD version which dramatically raises the level of the Forumla to nearly the best available changes include:

• Proprietary hybrid 2-stage XMOS xCore XE216 FPGA • Fully-floating (isolated) USB decoding and clock generation by FPGA with proprietary code • High quality, long life, low noise parts and modular design that distinguish aqua – acoustic quality equipment • Sample rate in “Bit Perfect” up to 768 kHz PCM and quad rate DSD (DSD256) • Latest version of customised XMOS X Core Driver on Windows OS (W7, W10) • Native X Core Audio on Mac OS (Bit Perfect) • USB Audio 2.0 operation on Linux (Bit Perfect)

This update has required significant optimisation of code for the main FPGA of R2R ladder DAC which has improved sound quality.
The new hybrid USB XMOS xCore 200 (dual core) FPGA circuitry enables the high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz PCM and up to DSD256 (Quad DSD)

One point that is being ommitted is long term design viability, the Aqua is comptely FPGA implimented and can easily morph into the lastet technolgy from a company that has been in business making award winning dacs for 8 years.

With that being said, we have both the Formula and the Davinci, the Davinci is in another league over the Formula and it is not even close we have the latest Formula Optologic XHD.

We are not denying the buzz on the Terminator, however, there was one review on the Terminator which wasn't so positive, the reviewer liked the dac but not a rave. 

The T+A Dac 8 DSD especially when fed a DSD 512 signal sounds like most $10k plus dacs, and it costs $4.2k the Dac 8 uses totally different design concepts and isn't as an elaborately constructed piece but boy does it sound good. 

So yes the Terminator is a very very good dac and it is priced very reasonably, state of the art not quite, great sound for the money probably.

The more interesting comparison will be the Davinci 2 Dual Dac vs the Lampy units.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ 
Hi Joe,
Have you heard the Denafrips?
Will it replace your PS Audio DS?
You have very good ears and taste, thus my curiosity 😊

Matt,
I look forward to your Lampizator Pacifica/Davinci DAC comparison.  I suspect this will be a very enjoyable and informative task.
Charles