Why are LCDs more popular than plasma?

I have a rough time seeing differences in picture quality between brands and models, but the difference between plasma and LCD are overt even to me. When I go to bestbuy, fry's, etc. and gaze at their displays of flatpannels, plasma televisions just look beautiful, despite the reflections, while LCDs just remind me of working on my laptop. Is there more merit to the quality of LCD than I observe or is there some other reason LCDs outnumber plasmas?
ohlala
Like most absolute universal statements, Stevecham and Soundqcar, overstate the case. Some plasmas do movies better than some LCD. I doubt either is qualified to make such absolute universal judgements.

In my experinece, the advantages of plasma are size and price; the advantages of LCD are lower weight and power consumption. The top of the line units of either technology have splendid picture quality if viewed from a position reasonably in front of the set.

db
I like the plasma as well and IMO the only choice is the Pioneer Elite, a little pricey- but worth every penny.
Dbphd...

I've had both...and currently have both. Pioneer Kuro,Samsung LCD.

You can pontificate all you like, I am speaking from experience with both formats.

I was simply tired of listening to people make assumptions towards Plasma, when it's readily apparent they don't have the first clue what they're talking about.
Yeah, Soundqcar, that's was exactly I was talking about: universal conclusions from particular premises.

db
I completely agree with the original poster. Plasma's image quality is so much better than LCD (and DLP) that there is hardly even a discussion. Colors are so much more vivid, contrast is so much better, blacks. If you want that "looking through a window" experience, then plasma is the only option.

Not to say that LCDs don't have their place, though. Airport monitors, business presentation screens, and that sort of a thing is better with LCD because of the image retention/burn-in issues with static images. In a HT though, it's either plasma, or front projection for bigger sizes.