Directional?

What causes a cable (or interconnect) to be 'directional'? Can it really be true that electricity flows 'better' in one direction than the other?

Just curious. Does anyone have insight into this?

Gasbose
128x128gasbose
What Audioquest(et al) think(s): https://www.audioquest.com/theory-education/article/83-directionality-its-all-about-noise Possibly part of the reason OCC(Ohno Constant Crystal) wire is so popular, in the industry's better cabling.
Your transparent plastic covered from the local shop selling 10 - 14awg OFC copper speaker cable isn't directional. Only shielded cable terminated at on end (and marked by arrows or some such) may be directional. You need to look at the cable. Some do some don't, some are, some are not. Does it make a difference? I don't know because I haven't been able to afford such cable.
Thanks, Rodman, Erik and amg!

So can you say how the 'Shielding' works? I take it there's some type of metallic cover around the cable. Per the Audioquest article, it's only attached at one end -- but to what? Does it connect to the negative side of the interconnect? If so, what's the significance of it only connecting at one end?

If y'all understand, I'd love your insight. Thanks!

Gasbose
Gasbose

A shielded cable has a foil or braided sleeve around the insulated conductors and is only attached to one end of the cable on the plug to the ground. Typically the shield is on the the end of the cable away from the source component. Power cords are similar with the shield only tied to the plug end that plugs into the wall receptacle. If you tie the shield to both ends of the cable then it’s no longer a shield but basically a ground which the cable already has. The shield is basically picking up EM/RFI and transferring that to the end of the cable before it reaches the signal conductors. Braids, twisting the conductors help to cancel noise as well.

As with anything in audio, best to try for yourself and go with what sounds best to you. A lot of cables are not shielded but my experience and ears tell me there is still a difference. I find that when you run a shielded cable in the incorrect direction thes stage collapses - you lose openness and things seem less relaxed.

Basically the shield is not intended to pass the signal from one component to the other but pick up outside noise between the components so not to interfere with the signal. The shield is only tied to one side at the ground. Cable geometry is a lot more complex than this. Hope this helps or makes sense.