Phono Preamps with "balls" ?

taking the cue from another thread about speakers with "balls" - what are some phono preamps that you have found to be the most powerful, dynamic and yet still sound clean.  
i turn on my digital sources and they are often much more robust sounding and would like to know if there are phono preamps that can deliver.  thanks in advance  
avanti1960
One that can accommodate all kinds of cartridges on the market without external step up device 
Violectric pp1 comes in mind with Number of setup switches 

Let me just start by saying that most phono preamplifiers out there are just simply terrible. It's the hardest component to get right. What I found to sound good:

Parasound JC3
Micromega MyGroov
Goldmund PH7
Graham Slee Accession
Parasound JC3+
Whest PS.40RDT
Pass Labs XP-17

What I have found is that many people tend to under gain their cartridges, this leads to a lack of dynamics. Not always the case but many times I have been at friends house and after listening to their setups if it sounded a bit lackluster, I asked if they could raise the gain. Many times, not always, the difference was pretty striking on how much the phono stage came alive.
TW ACUSTIC RPS 100 is a wonderful phono preamp with what you are looking for.It utilizes a large separate power supply,4 tubes 2 6dj8 and 2 12ax7s you can change loading,phase and as all phono curves (Decca,EMI,Columbia etc) from the front of the unit it lists at 18k.Im using it i have used other this is by far the best.Enjoy!!
I own a Simaudio LP5.3, a Violectric PP1 (can't believe someone else mentioned it-I thought I was the only one on the planet to own one), and a Manley Steelhead. By and large, I think that you can pretty much tell which phono stages are going to have the qualities that you refer to as "balls" by looking at the power supply. If it is huge, such as found in upper tier BAT or any Lamm or the TW Acoustics referred to above and the Steelhead, chances are pretty good that you will get those qualities. The power supply is the magic ingredient not only with phono stages but preamps in general. Look at any top drawer preamp that has almost universal acclaim and it is virtually certain it will have either a huge separate power supply (e.g. the ARC Ref 10) or a large internal power supply (which is second best).