Oppo Ceasing production

Just visited Oppo's web site.  They are ceasing production of all their products and will only do warranty work and firmware support for their products.  They no longer have the resources to manufacture new products.  Didn't see this one coming.
128x128stereo5
stereo5, your story is very telling of the state of the affairs in the 2-channel home audio interest. I’m about your age and with the exception of a handful of remaining friends from college, I don’t know of anyone else, at any age, who actually owns a decent stereo system at their homes, even the ones whose kids actually play various instruments. The weird thing is most of them know and track new music and bands but use nothing else except earbuds. When my buddy’s son graduated from high school I bought him a nice Creek integrated and a pair of Wharfdale speakers for his college. Later I heard he returned them and got a nice pair of earphones instead. Damn good pair I must admit.
Same situation here, I'm 58, have had 2-ch systems since putting together my first at age 15. None of my friends buy music. None of my kids have any interest in my current system. Even my wife (who's close enough to perfect for me), can't share my interest in JUST LISTENING TO MUSIC. 
My thoughts are: We can't be wrong, what's wrong with everybody else???

There is no way to determine, absent more information, why they closed the business.  Someone can make a really great product (great design, high performance, reliable, and reasonably priced) and be in a vibrant market and still fail because of business decisions made (e.g., taking on too much debt, critical parts supplier no longer making the parts available). 

What is more surprising to me is how some companies can make really crappy stuff and continue to thrive. 

FYI, courtesy of RIAA:

http://www.riaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/RIAA-Year-End-2017-News-and-Notes.pdf

https://musicbusinessresearch.wordpress.com/2017/05/05/3340/

@david_ten

Thank you!

FWIW, "I’m so glad" my music of choice - Grateful Dead and "related configurations" - falls into a category not covered by the statistics in either of the articles - that would be "freely shared via peer-to-peer trading". :)
More to discover