Upgrading to Totem Mani 2's

I’m considering upgrading from the Model 1’s to Mani 2’s. I’ve read most of the forums here on A’gon regarding the Mani’s and the one thing that they all pretty much have in common is that you need a lot of power (and current) to drive them. I’m currently running a Plinius 9100 for my Model 1’s which is rated at 120 W per side (around 200 W @ 4ohms). I’m also running the Plinius on 220v which has opened it up considerably and gives the bass a lot more punch (something I know I'll need for the Mani's). My room size is approx. 15 x 22 and my listening position is about 16 feet from the speakers. I normally listen at a moderate volume (10 o’clock is loud for me and 12 o’clock pretty much drives me out of the room). I know the old adage that you can always get a bigger amp, but if I’m going to spend several thousand on a speaker upgrade I’d rather not turn around and spend several thousand more on upgrading the amplifier as well (at least not right away). In addition I'm very pleased with the 9100 and like the Plinius sound very much. So what do you think Mani 2 owners? Am I living in a bubble thinking that the 9100 has the juice or based on my room size and listening habits will the 9100 do the job for me?
jaffeassc
I just bought a pair of Mani-2's and have been experimenting with amps to drive them. I started with a single Conrad Johnson MF2100 (100 w/c @ 8 ohms, don't know the 4 ohm rating). They sounded really nice with the 100 w/c, but when I added a second MF2100 in biamp mode they really opened up. I also am trying them with B&K M200 Sonatas (bi-wired, not biamped) which are rated at 400 w/c @ 4 ohms. They sound much better than with a single MF2100, and a little better than biamp MF2100s. I don't know if this is because of the higher power/current of the B&K, or it's just a better combination.

I'm not at all familiar with the 9100 . . . but hope this gives you a baseline.
Thanks very much and yes that gives me a good baseline to work from. I’m pleasantly surprised to hear that the single CJ gave you good results. I think my Plinius probably has a little more guts than the CJ so it appears that it may be a pretty good match, at least to start. I’m also not surprised that the more powerful B&K is giving you the best results so far. It’s my understanding that when you bi-amp, 2x100w doesn’t necessary give you 200w. So the two 2100’s probably weren’t giving you near the power that your getting from the Sonatas. Good luck with your search. I’d be interested in hearing about your next step. Please feel free to email directly and if I buy the Mani’s I’ll be happy to do the same.

Regards, Mark

BTW, where are all the other Mani 2 Owner’s? I’m very much interested in hearing as many opinions as possible.
I run my mani's with a Totem Amber which is a 230 watt into 4 ohm integrated made by sim audio for totem. Very pleasing to the ear and plenty of power for the room which is 14 by 22. If I play hard rock and crank it up to be almost unbearably loud then it is not enough amp but I mostly listen to Blues and world music with a bit of classical so it is fine. I considered upgrading to a W-5, P-5 seperate setup but the more I listen to my setup the more satisfyied I have become.Here is my system.

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1133742864&read&3&4&
Thanks very much for your input Telemarc. I’ve read about the Amber but I’ve never had the opportunity to audition one. I’m sure it sounds wonderful with your Mani’s. Coincidently, I also have a sliding door along one wall and my other wall is open to a hall/stairway so it appears that our listening areas may be very similar. Based on what your said I’m also starting to feel a little more confident that the Plinius can do the job. I’m not sure that it measures up to the Amber but they are similar in terms of power. BTW I’m very intrigued by your stands. I guess you don’t have to worry about filling those babies with sand!
ok, this is a cheap tactic to keep this thread in the current list . . . .
I'm a little surprised the isn't more participation. I assume there are many Mani-2 owner's (or former owners) out there. Can more of you weigh in? I would like to hear more too.