Neil Young - Guitarist

We all know Neil for his outstanding songwriting skills and some may even recognize his talents with a guitar but is he underrated? in 2015 Rolling Stone ranked him as number 17 of 100 greatest guitarists of all time. Can anyone pull more raw emotion out of a guitar than Neil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijrkKNZRIfM
128x128falconquest

Douchiest---love it! All those hair/metal band musician’s are like "Don’t look over there, look over here. Ain’t I great?!" The singer, the guitarist, and the drummer, all trying to steal the spotlight from each other. Embarrassing.

Drummers have all heard the stories about the sheet music Frank Zappa put in front of drummers for their auditions. Few could play it, Vinnie Colaiuta being one who could. He works with Jeff Beck now, and is scary good. Another musically great drummer with insane chops is Steve Gadd, one of the handful of the best drummers in the world.

It is assumed, and is largely true, that a technical guitar player wants a likewise technical drummer. One exception was Danny Gatton, who had this exchange with his new drummer during the break between sets in their first show together:

Gatton: "You know all that fancy sh*t you’re playing?"

Drummer: "Yeah."

Gatton: "Don’t."

A key element of rock is excess.  It's the "too much ain't enough" ethos.  It's an element that is easily made fun of as in "my amp goes to 11", but it shouldn't be outright dismissed.  Good taste and restraint are usually admirable traits, but there are times when just go crazy is acceptable.  Throughout its history rock 'n' roll is one of those areas.  For instance, Steve Vai is an insanely good guitarist.  He's also a good musician.  But truth be told, it's not like I would want to listen to him very often, yet that doesn't take anything away from him being totally over the top amazing.  If you got it, flaunt it.  And don't think Gatton or Thompson aren't equally flashy, they just do it differently.
Terry Kath of Chicago may be the most underrated guitarist of all time.  He very well may be the best Rock Guitarist of all time next to Jimmy.